Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35,827 Posts
My last 4 tanks around town have been - 19.9, 20.1, 20.3 and 18.8. Only one highway run around the 485 loop in Charlotte. 80 miles 60 to 70 mph with little traffic. 27 mpg. It's getting 1-2 mpg better in town than the 5.0L did. .625 5th gear. 430HP @ 5900; 425 lb-ft @ 4600; 300 lb-ft at 1400 rpm. It don't care what gear you're in. 650 rpm idle and 20" of vacuum.

If cookie cutter bothers you too much -- you can always put it in a "volvslo".....LOL! But, be forewarned - TrimDrip's a little sensitive about it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I think the OP already made up his mind he was going to do this BBC swap before he even posted the question. I say let him do it. I am sure he is bound to learn quite a few things by doing so. I just hope he is brave enough to be honest about the results when it is all said and done.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Among other reasons if he is concerned with fuel usage, the BBC option is probably not the one to consider. And I think he has rethought his BBC idea.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I could have sworn this is a Ford engine tech forum??? I must be lost.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Several years ago some guy on my local forum put a 502 BBC with a powerglide in a late 80's or early 90's foxbody hatchback.(can't remember the exact year)

From what I vaguely remember it was a lot of work.
Few if any members liked the swap.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My last 4 tanks around town have been - 19.9, 20.1, 20.3 and 18.8. Only one highway run around the 485 loop in Charlotte. 80 miles 60 to 70 mph with little traffic. 27 mpg. It's getting 1-2 mpg better in town than the 5.0L did. .625 5th gear. 430HP @ 5900; 425 lb-ft @ 4600; 300 lb-ft at 1400 rpm. It don't care what gear you're in. 650 rpm idle and 20" of vacuum.

If cookie cutter bothers you too much -- you can always put it in a "volvslo".....LOL! But, be forewarned - TrimDrip's a little sensitive about it. ;)
NO YOU!!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Was thinking about this last night. If you want 400hp/400ft-lbs (at the crank) with the ability to have more and you want fuel economy there is really only one choice. 5.0 DOHC swap. When you want more power, a super street friendly 8psi will give you around 600 hp on pump gas.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The part I don't get is using a BBC and expecting decent MPG. I guess it's subjective. One person's idea of good MPG is going to be different than another's.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Bleh, not worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You said in your first post "not sure if I want to spend all that money". So how much money do you want to spend? I'm surprised no one asked about the budget. That's the first question.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I really find it hard to believe this guy doesn't have a 4k rotating assembly

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Does a BBC fit... yes, very well. I personally know a LARGE number of people with them in foxbodies.. I had a 565 in mine for a while as well. All race cars.. BUT that really doesn't matter, fitment is fitment regardless of application.

For what you're looking to do... you're wasting your time in a HUGE way.. There are WAY better options out there.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts