Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
They do not make money. They do it because they love it. The cost of racing at the upper levels is staggering.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The economics of professional drag racing elude me. I can't understand how they afford it. I mean how can you make money doing that?!?!?! From the truck to carry everything to paying the driver, crew chief and pit crew to running and refreshing the car and the car(s). It boggles my mind how they pay for it all.
Big sponsorships, or they're out.

A Funny Car team, they you'd recognize instantly, came By Child's and Albert back in the mi 1980s. They wanted 250K for a decal on the car.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Just picked up some bare "ebay" heads for a fun, 1st head build project... surprisingly they look pretty good, no core shift at all and the surfaces are true. They have seats and bronze valve guides. Will post pics if anyone wants to see them. Need to figure out what valves (length), springs, retainers, locks, etc. to run in them.

Reactions: JFraser27

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just picked up some bare "ebay" heads for a fun, 1st head build project... surprisingly they look pretty good, no core shift at all and the surfaces are true. They have seats and bronze valve guides. Will post pics if anyone wants to see them. Need to figure out what valves (length), springs, retainers, locks, etc. to run in them.

How much were they? I’m interested to see how they turn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts

Yes please keep us updated as you go.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
How much were they? I’m interested to see how they turn out

Link to what I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-C...rentrq:440761e61680a9c42f64cb1ffff46c1d|iid:1

$180.49 each, shipped.

Yes please keep us updated as you go.

Will keep you guys posted. I may start a new thread once I'm able to focus on the parts gathering and assembly of the Chinese heads. May have my machine shop look at them as well and I'd like to put them on a fresh block (should have it soon) to see how things line up (intake, bolts, accessories, etc.)

They arrived very quickly (just about 4 business days) and packaged better than any head I've ever received, including AFR which was extremely surprising. I'm guessing they may be the same as the OP's castings - maybe he can confirm?

They reference a 2.05 intake valve in the subject/title, but the description says 2.02. I don't think they are a 2.05, but will confirm.

I may have to enlist Ed's assistance to line up the most appropriate valvetrain to run in them.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Now that I laid a 1250 to the head (used a stock gasket initially) there could be some intake port core shift or misalignment unless this head just needs a 1262 intake gasket vs the 1250 that is in the pics? The intake ports are a bit taller/longer than the 1250, but very consistent - no issues width wise. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I literally took the head out of the box and bag so they still have some oil on the decks and what may appear to be scratches is just oil... Excuse the mess on my bench, I'm usually very organized, but in the midst of packing things up as the house is for sale!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
The last 4 pics are deck to deck with brand new TFS 170 FAC 51410004M61 Heads

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
To make things more interesting, Pic#1 is a brand new ProMaxx 9175 (left and assembled with studs) head deck to deck with the Chinese head (right)

Pic#2 is the ProMaxx 9175 (left and assembled with studs) deck to deck with the TFS (right assembled no studs)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The TF ports are way bigger. The communist heads look like a porters stock piece.

Would be interesting to see how they flow and what kind of power they make on the same engine as the TF heads. Not asking you to do (bank roll) that. Just saying it would be interesting to see the results.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
The TF ports are way bigger. The communist heads look like a porters stock piece.

Would be interesting to see how they flow and what kind of power they make on the same engine as the TF heads. Not asking you to do (bank roll) that. Just saying it would be interesting to see the results.
I agree 100%.

I'd love to try a comparison (flow and/or dyno on the same car/shortblock) as it certainly would be interesting to see the results. Could do the communist heads box stock, ported to see if they would get to the level of the TFS, etc.

Once I get my bench cleaned off and more stuff packed up, I'm going to try to lay out the three heads on a very level surface, put gaskets to them, a straight edge, get the mic out and do a better comparison and post some pics. Will be curious as to the feedback from those that know a lot more than I do. I'm kinda Forest Gumping my way into a head/casting comparison and learning along the way.

A buddy and I are thinking about buying/building one of these which would allow us to flow... Flow Performance | Flow Performance Flow Bench | Flow Bench Kit

I bought the ProMaxx heads to put on a basic 306 rebuild that my machine shop is finishing up, the TFS TW 170 FAC heads to put on my factory shortblock (still a 302 the way it came off the assembly line - M6009-B50 "COBRA" shortblock that was in the FMS catalog years ago) which is in my '86 GT and the Communist heads to simply mess with and learn to assemble, port, etc., a cheap head without worrying about messing up an expensive TFS, AFR, etc.

To the OP, hopefully this information is helpful and not getting off track with your original thread.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great thread. After all my research Im going with the tfs on my rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Great thread. After all my research Im going with the tfs on my rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Good move. There really isn't a reason (other than an extremely tight budget) to try to save $600 buying a cheap, imported head unless it's far from your first rodeo and you know what you are getting into.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Old timer
6,107 Posts
Link to what I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-C...rentrq:440761e61680a9c42f64cb1ffff46c1d|iid:1

$180.49 each, shipped.

Will keep you guys posted. I may start a new thread once I'm able to focus on the parts gathering and assembly of the Chinese heads. May have my machine shop look at them as well and I'd like to put them on a fresh block (should have it soon) to see how things line up (intake, bolts, accessories, etc.)

They arrived very quickly (just about 4 business days) and packaged better than any head I've ever received, including AFR which was extremely surprising. I'm guessing they may be the same as the OP's castings - maybe he can confirm?

They reference a 2.05 intake valve in the subject/title, but the description says 2.02. I don't think they are a 2.05, but will confirm.

I may have to enlist Ed's assistance to line up the most appropriate valvetrain to run in them.
Measure the throat, I'll bet it's for a 2.020" intake valve. It's also a 180cc - give or take - intake port volume.

Basically, a stolen DART 180 casting, including the old school 11/32" valve stems. Would have been nice to have unmachined valve guides so a 5/16" or 8mm stem valve could be used. A 2.040"/1.570" valve combo would have been my idea for a 4.000"-4.040" bore size.

If you want to see the possibilities, you need to buy a sacrificial casting and cut it up in a band saw.

They have potential *but* by the time you get things 100%, you're at the AFR 185/TFS-190 11R territory for price.

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Measure the throat, I'll bet it's for a 2.020" intake valve. It's also a 180cc - give or take - intake port volume.

Basically, a stolen DART 180 casting, including the old school 11/32" valve stems. Would have been nice to have unmachined valve guides so a 5/16" or 8mm stem valve could be used. A 2.040"/1.570" valve combo would have been my idea for a 4.000"-4.040" bore size.

If you want to see the possibilities, you need to buy a sacrificial casting and cut it up in a band saw.

They have potential *but* by the time you get things 100%, you're at the AFR 185/TFS-190 11R territory for price.
Thanks for the information, Ed.

Are these knock-off DART 180 castings the same as the ProHeader castings that you mentioned earlier in the thread or most likely different?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
You can look at photos and see the differences in the castings.

These things, for the most part, should be viewed as entry level castings or budget casting where you arene't looking of a lot of HP. and you're trying to keep costs to s minimum.

My opinion. of course

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
You can look at photos and see the differences in the castings.

These things, for the most part, should be viewed as entry level castings or budget casting where you arene't looking of a lot of HP. and you're trying to keep costs to s minimum.

My opinion. of course
From the photos that I've seen of the ProHeader castings (from Ed's site), they look (to me) identical to the head that I purchased from ebay. Ed, can you confirm if they appear to be different? The combustion chamber of the ProHeader's at least appear to be identical to the ebay heads.

ebay heads and ProHeader head combustion chamber pics below.

I agree, these heads would not be best for big, reliable HP and longevity.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
That's definitely two different castings. There may only be two, but I quit looking for clarity with Chinese parts a long time ago. The fact that they lie a lot is compounded by the Americans that bring parts in amd lie a lot. Trying to figure out what's what with any real accuracy will just drive you nuts.

I just look at the parts and the purveyors of those parts and go from there. So........ProMAXX yes....ProComp no. I have confidence that what Jason tells me is actually the case, as he knows it, and I have confidence that anyone at ProComp will lie to me when the truth makes more sense.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts