Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ne1 got pics of a 275/40/17 on 7 or 8 inch rim?

I want to get some nittos for my cobra R's. But I'm wondering if I need to get new 9 inchers or if I could mount them on my 8 inchers. I think they will physically fit, but I don't want that silly looking roll over from too wide of a tire on too small width a rim. Any input guys? Thanks in advance. Also, if they wont work Ill probably just get the 255 bfg's, but I hear they wear too quickly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't do it.

I had 275/40/17's on 17x7.5" Centerlines awhile back and they could barely get the tires on. Plus the sidewalls were stretched at like a 45* angles. Looked bad.

My recommedation is a minimum of 9" rims for that tire or 255/40/17 max for an 8" rim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For a 275x40x17 you need at least a 9" wide wheel. You will get much better performance w/ a 245 on a 8" then a 275 on a 8"...

Get the 17x9's or get the to rear wheels you have now widened..

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you are getting Nitto DR's I say GO AHEAD AND GET THEM.

I run 275/40/17 Nitto DR's on my 98 Cobra 17x8 wheels. They fit fine. In fact they bulge less than my 255/40/17 Yokohama A520's on front.

I believe the Nitto DR's run a little narrow and seem to fit a 17x8 wheel pretty well. I'll try to get you a pic of mine.

EDIT:

Here ya go. These are kinda crappy but you get the point. There is hardly any bulge at all.

One from above:

One from the side rear (just turn your head, I'm to lazy to rotate it):

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would not compare those Nitto Dr's. Here's why.

1. They do run a little narrow
2. Sidewall height is more like a 50 not a 40.

So, I would say the Nitto is more like a 265/50/17.

I have run a 275/60/15 on an 8" rim and they fit beautifully. More sidewall means you can get away with more width.

G

·
I run a ROH ZS 17in x 8.5 and i was curious on getting the Nitto 275/40/17 DR'S . Would it fit good on my rim ?? Also its a daily driver is it made for street n track ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This same question was asked at www.corner-carvers.com in the suspension forum. I don't know how to post a link to that particular thread..

Here is an excerpt;

"There's really no one right or wrong answer to this issue, just a range of behaviors. That's why the tire manufacturer always specifies a rim-width range for each tire size. There is one rim-width that is designated as the "measured" rim. That's the size rim the tire was mounted on when its section width was measured. But it's not really the recommended or ideal size.
Get the complete Carrol Smith's "Engineer To..." series. Inside one of them, there is a chart derived from empirical test data that shows the relationship between tire-grip and rim-width.

This graph clearly shows that the maximum grip is obtained with rim-widths that are the same or slight wider than the section-width of the tire. Going to a wider rim doesn't hurt, BUT using a narrower rim DEFINITELY hurts the tire grip... Why?... Let's examine what happens when you corner...

Imagine looking at a car that's coming straight towards you and then it turns. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of this. As the wheel is aimed inwards, the tire wants to roll towards the turn, while the the mass of the car continues to go in a straight line. This causes the tread to move laterally and the sidewall is pulled sideways. The sidewall first experiences compression until is is directly under the rim's edge, then it relaxes and once on the inside of the rim edge, it starts developing tension. This sideways flopping of the sidewall can be as much as 3-4". Only when the sidewall is fully stretched under tension does it then pull on the rim, which then pulls the car into the turn.

So what happens when you have rims that are too narrow for the tire, is that the sidewalls have to move laterally a large amount before they start pulling on the rim. This causes slow and lazy turn-in response. The lateral displacement also distorts the contact patch and reduces grip. These effects are also what happens when you have too low of pressure inside the tire as well.

Conversely with rims that are as wide or wider than the tire, the sidewalls are already pre-stretched into the cornering configuration. When you turn the wheel, the sidewalls won't undergo the compression-to-tension transition and you'll get much better turn-in response. There will also be much less lateral displacement as well (0.5-1") so the contact patch won't be as distored.

A lot of people say "well, I used xxx tire on yyy rim and it fits and works fine". But compared to what? They have a limited sample size with no controls, and what they don't realize, is that it could be better.

An example of this is to use testing controls with only one change to compare (same tire or same rims). I've got two examples of this, one with a tire change, and one with a rim change.

The stock sizes on my car was 16x7/8" with 205/55 and 225/50 tires. When those wore out, I put on 225/50 and 245/45 tires. The result I immediately noticed was that the turn-in response was slower and the car tended to tramline on freeway grooves more. There was a marginal increase in steady-state cornering grip, but it was kinda balanced out by the loss of turn-in crispness. Lap times were the same.

Going on to the next example, back in January at Laguna Seca, I got some used rims from another racer and threw then on halfway through the day.

After I threw the SAME tires on my new 16x10.25" rims, I was blown away! I literally flew off the INSIDE of turn 1 because the car was so much more responsive than before (it literally felt hundreds of pounds lighter). Within 5-10 laps, I had adjusted for the new feel and chopped off 5-seconds from my lap times.

So the message behind all of this is... For maximum grip and turn-in response, go with rims that are at the wide end of the range recommended by the tire manufacturer. This can be seen with tire/rim combos used on extreme high-performance/unlimited cars. The Ferrari Testarossa used 255mm tire on 10" rim. The Ferrari 288GTO used 255 tire on 10" rim. Corvette with 275mm tire on 11" rim. Viper with 335mm tire on 13" rim... Is there a pattern here?

DannoXYZ "

·
Registered
911 Posts
the truth is that a 9" wide rim get better contact patch with that size tire but you can put them on an 8" rim. your handling isnt as stable with the carcass flex but it works fine. the NITTOS deffinately run a bit narrow cause they dont hang over much on my SVT cobra wheels. im getting 9" wide wheels soon but i have no problems with these tires on my rims. the rear is predictable & the tires hook nicely...... heres a pic of mine as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts