Ford Mustang Forums banner

30461 - 30480 of 30662 Posts

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Thanks for letting me type out loud and ‘voice’ my thoughts for input.

I appreciate you all being my sounding board. I’ll try to limit my “thought experiments” and try to post only data.

Reactions: Michael Yount

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Data is a funny thing - it can be used for almost anything. Interpretation of the data is key.
FWIW, I’m with Michael on this, less efficient fan is my guess as well. The IR gun will help tell the tale. When your fan is running wide open, you should be able to feel it on your legs while standing at the open drivers door. I can easily feel mine when it’s running at half speed. When it’s wide open, it’s like a hurricane coming out. Lincoln mkviii for the win.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I was warned that the aftermarket Contour fans weren’t as good as OEM. Once I get her back together I’ll run this test too.

That ~$500 SPAL fan was great in the summer heat of FL with A/C running. It’ll be between another one of those and the Mark8. I wonder if they as good aftermarket or not. But.... tests you guys suggest first.

This dual Contour fan was ~$100-120 and supposedly flows 3200cfm. The SPAL claims 3168 com and costs 4X more..... I think I under bought and got what I paid for.

Reactions: allbizns

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Thanks Frank! Not sure where I’d mount a pusher fan at the moment, but I’ll keep that in mind. :)

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
And pushers are less efficient than pullers of the same cfm rating.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was warned that the aftermarket Contour fans weren’t as good as OEM. Once I get her back together I’ll run this test too.

That ~$500 SPAL fan was great in the summer heat of FL with A/C running. It’ll be between another one of those and the Mark8. I wonder if they as good aftermarket or not. But.... tests you guys suggest first.

This dual Contour fan was ~$100-120 and supposedly flows 3200cfm. The SPAL claims 3168 com and costs 4X more..... I think I under bought and got what I paid for.
Not to jump in but I just installed one of those knockoff contour fans in my foxbody and feel like it is way down on flow. I have a spal dual set up in my big block nova and as stated above I can feel the air when I get out of the car. Plus I can hear those fans over the engine which is way more rowdy than my foxbody.

I can barely even hear the contour fans on my fox and barely feel any air flow at the door from under the car. My whole issue seems to be airflow while sitting still. No issues what so ever when moving.
I agree guess I got what I paid for lol..
You would think I would learn by now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Nice to hear a similar experience allbizns. I have some data to gather before I know more, but as I recall when I hooked power to my SPAL dual fan when new it lifted off the ground. After 20 yrs of use it seemed to degrade. The new Contour aftermarket one seemed “not too different” by hand feel after the fan with hood open. But I had bought the new Contour one so went with it.....

I am not sure why the 18mo Contour fan got worse now, while was ok in hot summer, but..... it is what it is and it was cheap!

Thanks again for adding your experience.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No problem ledsled Coupe I was glad to hear someone having a similar experience to myself. When I bench tested them out side of the car I was expecting way more air flow. But alot of people swear by them so I thought I would give it a try.

I just finally got the car back on the road. I think I can get by the way it is right now last weekend was in the mid 80's and sitting in traffic would creep to about 204 with a 180 t-stat running down the road it was 180-188 all day. So fairly confident its lack of airflow from the fan. Just concerned next summer with the A/C on. Guess I know my next purchase lol....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,662 Posts

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Me too Allbizns.

Nice support bracket above Michael. It looks like it could have come from the factory.

On the nose alignment I am taking it slow and easy. I’ve improved the alignment markedly. Simple 2x4s and measurement to contact the sheet metal at the same time on both sides as I lower it.

Hood pins are tilting back slightly which allows me to push the good back slightly which will take up excess gap between the cowl and the back of the hood.

I am very pleased so far. Doesn’t have to be perfect (though that’d be nice!) but it will be markedly better after this.

Attachments

Reactions: Michael Yount

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Much better! I’ll have to see where I can find a pic of before..... everything is still loose, this is just rough but...... I LIKE!

Attachments

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
That looks very good, not as bad as you described it.

I've got a couple of body lines on one of my Explorers that you could fit a finger through. I'm sure someone did a poor job of front end repair on this, I just hope it's not more the inner body, than the fenders and hood.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I preciously could put my finger fully between the top of the headlight and the hood. There was a full 1” gap there.

To complete everything I need to push the driver front fender back a skootch. should be easy Sat activity. Then on to better framework for tranny cooler to hold in place. Then.... get her running again and check temps throughout radiator.

Those old rotten quarter windows I got redone where the first eyesore. Fixing these headlights was the second.

:)

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Nice work Chris!!!

Most stuff is tacked - except the bracket you can see being held in place with vice grips. Both support braces just about tacked/done. Need to get everything tacked, in place -- then I can mark/drill holes in the spare tire well. Want to be sure I get them in the right place the first time. I had one tab that needed to be longer. I had a little bit I cut off of some other try which already had a 7/16" hole in it. I cleaned up the edges/beveled/welded/grind. You almost can't tell where they went together!

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
I see the problem with the headlight gap. It’s because they are one piece headlights. :-D

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
nice idea but actually no, the OEM system did the same. The holes in the fiberglass support unit under the nose doesn‘t provide the ExTrEmE Adjustment that I needed to ‘try’ to make mine better. Mine was front end clipped before I bought it and I just never noticed Till I got her home. I was looking for rust and didn’t look at the nose at all. My bad. But no biggie, it’s not a collectible, an old 4 cylinder that I am making exactly how I want it so... who cares?

Those angel eye lights are SO much better than anything else I’ve used or driven. Nice upgrade. I didn’t care to DIY so I shipped these new one piece units out to a shop to do for me couple years ago. Personally I like the one piece headlights but I am more MOD than RESTO so maybe I should Not call mine a Resto-mod stang but a modded stang and drop the Resto?

30461 - 30480 of 30662 Posts