Ford Mustang Forums banner

29941 - 29960 of 30028 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I would see if Bob has some idea what's going on with that. I don't know anything about the different Mustang columns.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hey Chris,
Check this out

it seems you have to use the multi function switch for the car not the column. That's something I was unaware of.

I'm not sure about the cable. it's probably a safety feature that came into play sometime from 90-93.

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
Digging through some papers I ran across a 1999 Police Interceptor window/build sticker. Anyone collect these, its been stored flat and is in great shape. Wonder if the car is still around.
Yep, that’s me. Snap a pic and email to rwhite 3 0 2 at ya hoo dot com. I’ll add to my collection.

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
Sheesh, been show in here for a while, then Chris starts a project and BAM we have five pages to catch up on. Lol

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Lol sorry for the Swamp of Messages!
Thanks Bob I ordered the right multi switch. No biggy.

It’s that Cable thing throwing me now. I am a tad worried as it has an electrical hook up to it and I just hope it’s NOT tied into the EEC. If it’s not then I suspect I can bypass it or remove it.

Otherwise this project is really not a big deal. I always wondered how much work they were.... not bad at all.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hey Chris,
Check this out

it seems you have to use the multi function switch for the car not the column. That's something I was unaware of.

I'm not sure about the cable. it's probably a safety feature that came into play sometime from 90-93.
That’s a helpful page Bob thanks. The pictures and wiring discussion is also nice.

I haven’t used my cruise in 20 yrs so I’m not planning to bother to wire that section up.

Boy I wish my copper post connector looked as nice as his does and that I didn’t have to rebuild mine. Aaah but it’s hidden and should work fine so who cares.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I haven’t tracked down where the hard cable goes. It may well go to the shifter.... I’ll look tonight.
But yes the flippy thing would prevent the tumbler from doing its thing.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Next what is the electrical hook up for? Actually I can mobile text u a 20 sec video of it.... is your mobile the same from years ago? I just found it in my cell.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yes that cable goes to the shifter, assuming it's just like the Mark VII.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I assume it’s easy to disconnect. The electrical connection is only to activate the lockout I assume then? Complete removal seems like a non issue then! :)

Thanks Bob for reviewing my video and providing your input on the phone too. :) :) :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ordering up Momo Eagle wheel tonight!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Disconnecting it isn't very hard, just like the top, figuring out the end piece. It's been since about 1999 that I removed one, from several cars a friend and I parted out. I have my old spare in a trunk stored, the column with the cable still attached. Like you I will have to transfer a couple of items to a new swapped column, the Marauder is very similar, but didn't have that cable on the one I bought. I hadn't looked under the plastic cover yet to see what is different there. I had to have the Marauder because it uses the required clock spring, those don't interchange from the early models.

You are working with column models that changed from the old button connections, to the first clock springs designed. The Mark VII likely has a similar clock spring as your Mustang. But back in the 80's and early 90's Ford was terrible about making parts that did not swap across models. Look at relays, most every one in each model was unique, built with surrounding plastic shapes, to keep people from swapping them. In the 90's Ford finally used standard relay sizes, and to some extent used other parts like a clock spring that fit more than one model.

Here is a steering wheel that can fit my Marauder column, for the Lincoln. Below that's a Mark VII column and its two shafts. The SN95's have one long shaft that match those two together.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Interesting that you seem to have an additional U joint in that column.

I‘ll likely take my shifter out And disconnect that hard cable tonight. Then start putting the new/old column back in.

I’d love to get an MM u joint steering shaft done now but I am going to wait as I would also like a newer steering rack with better “feel” and that requires a different end to it from what I’ve read. So engine cross member, a arms, rack and MMU joint shaft may all get done at the same time one day.....

First things first.... Rome wasn’t built in a day! Though this is 30 yrs now since I first started building up my dreams of the ultimate fox platform! I bought my ‘86 ‘vert and started the mods immediately in 1990!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have wondered how close the old long column system and the new short version are. If the firewall hole/support is the same, then it'd be possible to swap the later column into the older cars, maybe. The short columns are not any support for the dash, whereas the long columns help slightly with that one member attached to the firewall.

My Ranchero is the old style of course. I want a better column in that, but also the later steering wheels. So I hope to figure out how a 93 column might fit in a 1973 truck.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If you need a ‘93 column let me know... :)

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Funny, wait ten years and see what you think. I've had my old 93 Explorer column since I parted it out in 2006, and finally thought of a use for it. I bought a manual Explorer column, and a NOS black wheel that should fit it. It's still stored away, taking up space.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ok the cable definitely goes to the shifter. The flip bar on the end of the cable flips UP when the shifter button is pushed in to allow getting it out of park. This stays UP regardless of what gear it’s in UnLeSs it’s in PARK. Easy! Thanks Bob &Don. Now to remove it! Shifter location shown here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Got any sauce to go with those spaghetti wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
29941 - 29960 of 30028 Posts