Ford Mustang Forums banner

29921 - 29940 of 30028 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
That probably needs more heat than typical for small wires. I've soldered some larger gauges with the bigger crimp terminals, even little 1/4" round crush rings that I think were from a home wiring section. Those were copper so they did solder easier than common connectors made from harder metals.

Just give the joint time to heat up, after getting the soldering iron time to first. Be sure the tip is very well attached(some tips held on by a screw need regular tightening).

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I am heating it up with a butane mini torch. So heats not a prob. But I didn’t sand off the oxide first. I’ll try again tomorrow hopefully that’s it. I need three hands though.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Ditto, BTDT. I liked a small piece of wood that I could slip under most wiring, and a small clamp to hold one part if needed. I've got a butane torch again since my old one seem to work less and less after many years. They make good heat but work best in a larger space than under a dash etc. I try to use a simple iron first if it works as it should, I tighten/snug the little screw each time I use it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Interesting idea you gave me Don.... maybe drill a small hole and see if I can’t put in a screw. That’d help with the solder attachment too.

Attachments

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Nope just crushed it in a vise trying to hold it. Bugger.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Now need a piece of copper I can insert into there..... or brass perhaps.... better copper as it’s softer typically.

OK copper from Lowe’s!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ok fab in’ it up as I go.... consolidate copper wire.... solders nice. Two done one to go....

Next I need to trim to right length and wrap a pen spring around each and close it up.

Who thinks it’ll work?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Trying to think like Michael and Don here.... 9-)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Drilled a hole into each post for better contact and bond with wire.

Weird I don’t have the option to attach pics at the moment. I’ll update pics later then. All done but for the pen springs fashioned to right length.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I've never seen one of those apart before. How much movement is there for each of the buttons, I'm wondering how strong a spring needs to be to keep those connected. I'm guessing there doesn't need much movement at all, just a light pressure to maintain the connection.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That’s what I suspect as well Don.
Pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Time to shower and chill for the rest of the day... springs this week & order up the wheel!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
That is coming along, it looks promising.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Springs installed. All contacts seem to have similar force upwards. They stick out too long without compression of the next assembly as I had to drill the ID out slightly of the plastic fixture. My copper had a larger diameter than OEM contacts. I think it will work ok.

I had to drill out the pop rivet holding the two pieces of plastic together so I could disassemble. To keep together I am now trying two part epoxy. Nearly done and it it holds I should be good to fix

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I bought a new multifunction stalk/ switch for the pre 1990 column. $135 delivered from LMR.

Question- do any of you guys know where this rubbery grommet thing goes? I bought it in preparation but not sure what to do with it... maybe it goes on here with the red arrow?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Digging through some papers I ran across a 1999 Police Interceptor window/build sticker. Anyone collect these, its been stored flat and is in great shape. Wonder if the car is still around.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ok BIG problem.... little did I know and the old tilt column was a bit different than my air bag 93 column.

This is one of those things I’d have LOVED to know before hand. Crap!!!!!!

There is no SLOT on my tilt column.... Options?

Is it brake pedal related? I’ll have to look...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
This thing is supposed to ride in it. I assume it’s so you can’t start it up unless it’s in Park??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Ggrrrrr.... I was ignorant and still am!! What is this thing??

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Digging through some papers I ran across a 1999 Police Interceptor window/build sticker. Anyone collect these, its been stored flat and is in great shape. Wonder if the car is still around.
Richard does I believe.

29921 - 29940 of 30028 Posts