Ford Mustang Forums banner

29681 - 29700 of 29746 Posts

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
More gusset and fitting work today. Gussets for the firewall brackets.

Used wood bits to model the angles on the rectangular tubing.

VERY happy with fit

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Likely the most robust strut tower brace I’ve ever seen
:)

Amazing what a little time and patience will get you.

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
"Likely the most robust strut tower brace I've ever seen." ??? Not even close to this one, which I think you've seen ( :) ).....3/8" plate with 1.5" x .083" chromoly tubing.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Touché.

LOL

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
Good day. Tacked the tower plate gussets.

Double clamped the firewall bars to their brackets, pulled brackets off the car, tacked them, bolted brackets back on -- and miracle of miracles - the fit of the bar to the tower plates is perfect.

And, did a final fit of my wooden bar to use as a template for cutting the tubing. Really happy with the fit.

Finish tacking tomorrow - lots of old blankets/aluminum foil to protect things - have 8 tacks to make under the hood - 2 each on the cross bar, and on each of the firewall bars. Then I can remove as one piece. I'll have to fab a little jig that will act like the firewall -- so we can bolt the brackets to the jig when we weld. Help keep things from moving around so much.

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
This rig to serve as an extra pair of hands - pull the cross bar up into place for tack welding.

And all tacked up...

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
Fabbed up this to mimic the firewall -- a pretty stout piece to hold the "free" ends from moving around when we get some welding heat in the piece.

The piece of tubing on the back is just there to stiffen things up. I'll cut it off when we're done and use part of it for the torque arm I put on top of the motor.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Was going ask if you were doing the welding. Ive often thought about getting a small mig for something to play with. But, good buddy of mine has far more experience and lives five miles from me so I’ve deferred to him for my occasional needs.

The brace looks great. Very unique to see one rectangular instead of round tubing.

I’m going to shop for a small/cheap hvlp spray gun. My spray gun is toast. Don’t know why, only 23 years old and was a cheap gun to start with. Got my use out of it. Lol

Was going spray our lawn furniture with it yesterday. Ended up using a trim roller which worked far better than I expected. Two tables and eight chairs.

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
I tacked with MIG - Brad used the TIG to weld it. Puts less heat into the weld, more into the base metal. Leaves the weld zone more malleable, longer cool off helps with stress relief. I still have to add a piece for my motor mount - I’ll MIG that.

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
Made this bracket that bolts to two really stout threaded bosses on the valve cover.

Have another bit of 1.5" x .75" clamped to the crossbar. I'll do something like this -- use a sway bar end link so fully mounted in rubber. The motor makes maybe 120 lb-ft of torque at peak. And this point is somewhere around 28-30" above the crank. So, with a 2.5' lever - everything will only have to resist about 48 lbs. of force to constrain the motor. Doesn't have to be very beefy.

Pick one of these up in the morning....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I like that mount idea, but the moment force from the few inches it's above the VC threads may be a lot for those threads. I'd want another mounting point if possible to triangulate the force. The two inline on the VC will not resist the side force from the bracket really well. It will be trying to twist the bolt heads off from the VC. Any chance you can also extend the bracket to one of the VC mounting bolts?

·
Registered
35,450 Posts
Under acceleration the bolts are loaded primarily in tension. My calcs show the bolts (grade 10.9, 120,000 psi load rating) will be fine. Fine threads with about 5x thread diameter of engagement. I think threads will be ok. Keep in mind - we’re not stopping movement - just limiting. You’ve got 4 rubber bushings that can absorb a bit of movement. I also intentionally didn’t gusset the bracket so it can flex a bit as well. But - we’ll see!

I should add, my gut check was this. Two bolts about this size hold the 5.0L lifting lug to the head via the exhaust manifold. Loaded in single shear, they manage half of the 550-600 lbs. when a 5.0L motor/tranny is on the lift. I think this load is significantly less than that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I hope it works fine, I just mentioned it in case you hadn't thought it in detail. I trust you'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Just saw a video on "1320video" of a Volkswagen Golf that is twin engined. Yes, two turbo VR6 motors. And each is independently setup. Two trans. Two ECUs. Two of everything. The trans are sequentials. When ready to drag race, he simply locks the shifters together with a locking set of brackets and off he goes. One of the wildest things I've ever seen.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Yes, the dual burnouts were crazy lol.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Great details great job!

Not much going on here car wise. Having issues with communication between WB and PMS InterACQ. Need input of some who’ve done it as my wiring harness has different colored wires. Otherwise it works great. I reactivated FB account (I know) so I could interact with PMS group there. So far no response. Scott Noe told me I was the last car he tuned with InterACQ 16-17yrs ago. Lol! New stuff is far better. But I am fine with this set up still.

Double checked my NOS activation and all is well. Need new colder plugs before I juice it (only 100hp).

Wifey killed the transaxle in my John Deere 180 circa 1986. So looking into Cub Cadet ZT2 or a John Deere Z500 series, both zero turn. We will see. Learning still....

29681 - 29700 of 29746 Posts