Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
your nuts for trying to put a 285/40/17 on a 9" wide wheel. its gonna look like Poo!. Have fun.

·
Registered
642 Posts
On my 85Gt I'm using 84-86 SVO length axles 1.25'' longer with a 98 Cobra wheel widened to 10'' (7.72 bs) with a Kumho MX 285/40

Rear Steeda sport springs 1.25'' lower I rolled the wheel lips and had to work the inner wheel housing a little. 2.5'' tail pipes clear but no quads.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You'll probably have some clearance issues with the quads and/or the tailpipes. And depending on tire size, you may need to roll the fenders. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 285/40/17 if I were you, but it all depends on the tire manufacturer. I've seen guys with 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials, but have problems running 275/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

I just got a set of 10th anniversary wheels (17x9 w/6.12" backspacing). I'm going to attempt to fit 285/40/17s in the rear. I'm running stock length axles and I don't have quads (running torque arm and pan hard bar) and I don't have tailpipes either (running bassani side exhaust). I'll be rolling the fenders as well before I do the install so I'm pretty sure I can get everything to fit. Hope this helps!
You'll probably have a little bit of an issue with the lip, but much of you problems are going to come on the inner fender well. Get ready with the BFH, cause you're going to need it. With the PHB, the roll center is moved down, so you'll get more roll out of the car under hard cornering and driveways and it will hit the inner fender wells.

·
Registered
268 Posts
your nuts for trying to put a 285/40/17 on a 9" wide wheel. its gonna look like Poo!. Have fun.
Its only 10mm wider than a 275 and most 275s fit squarely on a 9" anyway. Ford wheels have a .5" lip, whereas most aftermarket wheels are .375". Also, I've seen people running 315 Nittos on a 9" wheel (not that I would do it), but every tire manufacturer is different. You must think people running 275 drag radials on 10 holes should be committed! There aren't a lot tire choices in the 285 size and you're right, they may bulge a little more than I would like. So I'll probably just play it safe and go with a 275 in the end.

You'll probably have a little bit of an issue with the lip, but much of you problems are going to come on the inner fender well. Get ready with the BFH, cause you're going to need it. With the PHB, the roll center is moved down, so you'll get more roll out of the car under hard cornering and driveways and it will hit the inner fender wells.
I do expect some issues with inner fender well, but may go with a small spacer (1/8" - 1/4") to overcome anything a BFH can't fix. And I don't expect any issues with the rolled fenders if I do run a small spacer. BTW, I checked out your site and your car is REALLY amazing. How do you like the suspension setup on the street? I was thinking of getting the Maximum Motorsports K-member kit with coilovers at all four corners, so I'm curious to see how the ride quality is. I'm sure the improvement in handling makes up for any problems!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On my 85Gt I'm using 84-86 SVO length axles 1.25'' longer with a 98 Cobra wheel widened to 10'' (7.72 bs) with a Kumho MX 285/40.
That sounds like a sweet setup. Got any pictures to share with us?

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 18x10 fr500's bolted right on with ranger axles. Actually, the sn95 axles might put the tire out closer to the edge of the fender where I like it better. The tire is a 285-35-18 el-cheapo Summitomo

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
have more pics?^^

·
Registered
235 Posts
92notch306 could you post pics? My 245's seem to be rubbing on my quadshocks and tail pipes just a bit but only on tight turns so i dont think that i could run 275's.:(
i cant belive i didnt respond to this.oh well that was a long time ago but here are some.i run sn95 rear end.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have on my '93 17X10 with 275/40's in the rear. I do not know what other modifications I will need to make but I DID have to flip the quad shocks which was no problem. I do not think I will need to roll my fender lips any more than they were when I got the car (not rolled to the max but someone definately massaged them at some point). I do not know about the tailpipes as it currently has dumps. It *LOOKS* like I have pleanty of room on the fender side but I think only because when I did my five lug I used fox length axles. YMMV

Do you have pics of the rear? what brand of tires are you using? how stretch are the 275s on a 10 inch wheel?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm having problems with fitting 265/50/15's on a 15x10'' rodlite without hitting the quadshocks....I already flipped them and am not gonna remove them (tried it and had wheelhop even with LCA's) What size tire could I get away with??? I'm hoping 255's will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have on my '93 17X10 with 275/40's in the rear. I do not know what other modifications I will need to make but I DID have to flip the quad shocks which was no problem. I do not think I will need to roll my fender lips any more than they were when I got the car (not rolled to the max but someone definately massaged them at some point). I do not know about the tailpipes as it currently has dumps. It LOOKS like I have pleanty of room on the fender side but I think only because when I did my five lug I used fox length axles. YMMV
do you have a pic

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,059 Posts
probably not as he hasn't posted since
this new feature is really annoying and gonna ruin this forum

but hey the marketing people are happy cause of "new traffic"

21 - 34 of 34 Posts