Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody is running 10" wheels in the rear of a foxbody. If you are what size tires and what did you have to do to get it to fit, also are there any rubbing or any other problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Man, my 17x9's are tight enough, lol

There are some people using 17x10.5's but it usually requires

a.) rolled fender lips
b.) BFH on inside of wheel well
c.) clearanced tailpipes
d.) flipped quads or quad delete

There are exceptions to the rule sometimes.

Someone will always say they got them to fit without any mods, lol

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have on my '93 17X10 with 275/40's in the rear. I do not know what other modifications I will need to make but I DID have to flip the quad shocks which was no problem. I do not think I will need to roll my fender lips any more than they were when I got the car (not rolled to the max but someone definately massaged them at some point). I do not know about the tailpipes as it currently has dumps. It *LOOKS* like I have pleanty of room on the fender side but I think only because when I did my five lug I used fox length axles. YMMV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Luke87GT said:
Man, my 17x9's are tight enough, lol

There are some people using 17x10.5's but it usually requires

a.) rolled fender lips
b.) BFH on inside of wheel well
c.) clearanced tailpipes
d.) flipped quads or quad delete

There are exceptions to the rule sometimes.

Someone will always say they got them to fit without any mods, lol
But your using sn95 axles right? 3/4" longer than stock so would 17x10 fit tight with stock length axles? Where did you get your fenderwell rolled at? Did you use a bfh on the inside of the fenderwell, could that mess anything up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1993gt40 said:
I have on my '93 17X10 with 275/40's in the rear. I do not know what other modifications I will need to make but I DID have to flip the quad shocks which was no problem. I do not think I will need to roll my fender lips any more than they were when I got the car (not rolled to the max but someone definately massaged them at some point). I do not know about the tailpipes as it currently has dumps. It *LOOKS* like I have pleanty of room on the fender side but I think only because when I did my five lug I used fox length axles. YMMV
I also used stock length axles when i did my 5 lug, but i have lx pipes and my fenderwell hasnt been rolled, where could i go to get them rolled? i would do it my self but i rather have someone with experience do it.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
PWR HNGRY 302 said:
But your using sn95 axles right? 3/4" longer than stock so would 17x10 fit tight with stock length axles? Where did you get your fenderwell rolled at? Did you use a bfh on the inside of the fenderwell, could that mess anything up?
Yes, I have 17x9 rims and sn95 axles which are 0.75" longer than stock, BUT my rims are the M179 Cobra R's which have a 6.42"BS, unlike the more common R58's which have a 5.98"BS and are commonly used with stock length axles.

I mocked up my rims this weekend (just got them), but I have not dropped the car from the jack stands yet. I will do that this week and take it for a spin.

From the *looks* of things, I will likely have to roll my fenders.
The rear wheels come extremely close to my quad shocks and tailpipes (2.25"). In fact, I bet the tires will kiss the quads and tails under harder cornering.

I have not flipped my quads yet.

Like I said, people have made 17x10.5's work, but it is def not a install and go type of part. It will require some work.

And ya, most 17x10.5's and 18x10's made for Mustangs will take a stock length axle when used on a fox. To use sn95 axles and a 10"+ rim will require a very custom backspacing... Over 7"

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an 88 mustang with a stock length rearend. I am using the cobra r 17X9 and I have no problem at all in the rear. I do still have my 15Xwhatever stock ugly ones. I borrowed some dirt track mcrurries or however you spell it, which would be about like a regular tire on a 17X10. I had to remove my quad shocks for them to fit, but once I removed those it was fine. As for the front, good luck without mods cause my 17X9's barely fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea my 17x9 rub the front fenderwells. The reasom that i was thinking about running 17x10 was because i curbed on of my rear wheels so i was just going to 10" rear wheels since i was going to replace it but i decided to just keep it 17x9 all the way around but my 245's seem to be a tight fit on my wheels so i think iam going to run 275's but i need to roll me fenderwells before i do.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
PWR HNGRY 302 said:
Yea my 17x9 rub the front fenderwells. The reasom that i was thinking about running 17x10 was because i curbed on of my rear wheels so i was just going to 10" rear wheels since i was going to replace it but i decided to just keep it 17x9 all the way around but my 245's seem to be a tight fit on my wheels so i think iam going to run 275's but i need to roll me fenderwells before i do.
What does the front of you car measure from ground to top of fender arch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
9.5" x 17 here

I run the ROH ZS racing rims with 275/40 17's BFG G-Force KDW's.
No problems with quads.
No problems with fender well or tail pipes either.
I do rub just a little on fender lip when I go over a railroad tracks.
I am going to roll the fender lips next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
92notch306 could you post pics? My 245's seem to be rubbing on my quadshocks and tail pipes just a bit but only on tight turns so i dont think that i could run 275's.:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have 95 axles on my fox wit 95 cobra wheels which have right at a 5.75 bs - the wheels set right out on the fender lip (which i ground down from 5/8 to about a 1/4 measuring from the inside) so then i measured the inside clearance from the inside of the wheel to the fender well and got about 2 1/4 inches to play with before the hammer needs to come out and bang the inner wheel well in. so that tells me that to get that wheel to tuck in on a lowered car that the wheel would need to have approx 7.75 bs wit very little play room for tire flex.........

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
would 17x10s with a 6 1/4 backspacing fit a 93? I have my lips rolled. What else would likely be needed...and what size tires would be optimal?

Would they stick out of the fenders, or rub if it was lowered?

·
Registered
268 Posts
would 17x10s with a 6 1/4 backspacing fit a 93? I have my lips rolled. What else would likely be needed...and what size tires would be optimal?

Would they stick out of the fenders, or rub if it was lowered?
You'll probably have some clearance issues with the quads and/or the tailpipes. And depending on tire size, you may need to roll the fenders. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 285/40/17 if I were you, but it all depends on the tire manufacturer. I've seen guys with 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials, but have problems running 275/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

I just got a set of 10th anniversary wheels (17x9 w/6.12" backspacing). I'm going to attempt to fit 285/40/17s in the rear. I'm running stock length axles and I don't have quads (running torque arm and pan hard bar) and I don't have tailpipes either (running bassani side exhaust). I'll be rolling the fenders as well before I do the install so I'm pretty sure I can get everything to fit. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts