Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some suppliers are advertising TKX transmissions in stock now.. Anybody get one yet or better yet been driving behind one???

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I know of several with them on order, but none have come out to claim they have received one yet.

I'm waiting for the YouTube reviews. Eager to get feedback on shifting feel

·
Registered
305 Posts
Curious to see some real world reviews as well.

·
Registered
91 Lx Hatch
56 Posts
Will the new tkx use the same bell as the 3550/tko500/600? Considering ordering one myself asap if it will work. Looking forward to some real world reviews as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the new tkx use the same bell as the 3550/tko500/600? Considering ordering one myself asap if it will work. Looking forward to some real world reviews as well.
From what I have read it will.. It will also bolt up to my SROD bellhousing, unlike the T5, which requires a different bellhousing

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
Yes, plus I believe it uses the same driveshaft and X-member as well. Supposedly a direct swap if you already have a TKO.

I think the best way to describe the new TKX (and correct me if i'm wrong) is that it's a TKO, but a smaller, lighter package like a T-5, but with the T56 shift mechanisms. On paper it sounds great, but i'd like to see a few months of feedback (racing, cruising, launches, etc) before I decide to get one, or go with an A5.

Reactions: Lemaster93

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On paper it sounds great, but i'd like to see a few months of feedback (racing, cruising, launches, etc) before I decide to get one.
I am 65 and I have seen ALOT of first year " Products" be a disaster...
83 corvette
First year Yamaha 650 Raptor
5.3 Chevy engines with " CSK", ( Cold spark Knock)
Early Dodge trucks with cummins diesels that basically shook the truck apart

To buy one of these in the past ( I had the 5.3 chevy truck) is to end up with a WORTHLESS item that you CANNOT sell and NODOBY will want it.... NOT saying this will happen with the TKX, but I will let others try it out first..... I have been the "Test guinea pig" for enough things in my life already......

·
Registered
91 Lx Hatch
56 Posts
According to americanpowertrain.com they come with a 12 month 12k mile warranty, and American powertrain actually warranties it for 24 months. I'd be a good candidate for a torture test but I'm only pushing about 400ftlbs torque at the tire so idk how valid of a torture test that would be. My 3550 has held up just fine this far to the 50-60 5k rpm launches I've put on it this far. Big plans for the future though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
following. been wondering about this also for a coyote swap.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If they are hanging out units to be tested I will take one I don't think the T5 is going to last long after the turbo. Is installed this winter. It went 1.69 60' with 212 rwhp. Can't wait to see what it will do with 500+/-

·
Registered
331 Posts
Something tells me the new TKX is a
I think the best way to describe the new TKX (and correct me if i'm wrong) is that it's a TKO, but a smaller, lighter package like a T-5, but with the T56 shift mechanisms.
Based on Tremec's site, it's got a 3 rail shift system. I know G-Force mentioned the TR3650 has similar guts to a T56 when they made the GF3650 gears, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually a repackaged TR3650 then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one on order, they're not going to be shipped out until mid/late January at the earliest for Ford applications. At least through Modern Driveline anyway. From what I was told by them, all the parts you would need to swap a TKO applies to a TKX.

Just to be sure I also contacted Tremec directly and they confirmed the outer dimensions match the TKO's.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Something tells me the new TKX is a

Based on Tremec's site, it's got a 3 rail shift system. I know G-Force mentioned the TR3650 has similar guts to a T56 when they made the GF3650 gears, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually a repackaged TR3650 then.
The 3650's are under rated tanks of transmissions. The one we had in our 01' Cobra was beat on HARD, ended up selling it used to someone else that put another 70k on it then sold the car. I've got a friend with 700rwhp/TQ Kenne Bell combo running through one for like fricken 15 years.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
The Early 3650's didn't have a reputation for being great shifters. The 1-2 clunk TSB being a notable complaint about them. I had an '03GT, and those first few 1-2 or even 2-3 shifts on a cold AM were cringeworthy. No idea if the issue was corrected in later versions.

Strong trans though.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The Early 3650's didn't have a reputation for being great shifters. The 1-2 clunk TSB being a notable complaint about them. I had an '03GT, and those first few 1-2 or even 2-3 shifts on a cold AM were cringeworthy. No idea if the issue was corrected in later versions.

Strong trans though.
I remember running into that cold mornings, we stuffed in some GM Synchromesh and it really helped that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The 3650's are under rated tanks of transmissions. The one we had in our 01' Cobra was beat on HARD, ended up selling it used to someone else that put another 70k on it then sold the car. I've got a friend with 700rwhp/TQ Kenne Bell combo running through one for like fricken 15 years.
Given that G-Force themselves basically just do a gearset to bring first down to something more reasonable, and add a 26 spline input to get their 1,000 hp rating, it absolutely is underrated. You have the center distance of the T56, so even with the 3.38:1 gearing, the gearset is damn strong.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no such thing as a 1983 Corvette.
I believe your correct, the 83 year was branded as an 84... Thanks for the reminder.. What I do know is the entire suspension was redone the following year and these cars take a HUGE hit when being sold....

·
Registered
546 Posts
American Powertrain has a question and answer thread for that and other questions concerning TKX swaps.

The New TREMEC TKX - American Powertrain

Scroll down past the pictures. Somebody may have already inquired about a similar fitment.

Norm

Reactions: Lemaster93

·
Registered
546 Posts
There is no such thing as a 1983 Corvette.
IIRC there was exactly one, and it lives in the Corvette Museum (lived, if it was one of the cars they couldn't restore after the sinkhole event).

Norm

Reactions: EvilGooses
1 - 20 of 50 Posts