Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 GT Convertible
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My tires are tiny (225 50 16). They were on the car when I bought it and are in very good shape but I can’t stand the sight of them anymore. I have read every tire thread I can find. I’m pretty much set on buying a set of 245 50 16’s but would like to see some pictures of them on an 87-93 fox. The only thing that is delaying my purchase is that they are slightly smaller in diameter than stock size 225 55 16’s. I like the look of big tires on these cars and I want to go as wide and tall as possible without a lot of rubbing. The suspension is stock height. Also, what brands do you guys recommend? I heard BFG tires for these cars are garbage. Here are pictures of my unacceptably small tires. Thanks in advance for your advice
9E839F1A-38C0-4F11-9735-EB2CD82C1EBE.jpeg
90E67A0C-D382-4DDC-9702-271BEF465BC6.jpeg

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I’m pretty much set on buying a set of 245 50 16’s but would like to see some pictures of them on an 87-93 fox.
I ran 245/50s on Pony wheels back in the late '90s. No pics to share, sorry. I elected to go back to 225/55s because the 245s don't really gain you any performance and (to my eyes) just look pinched on the 7" wide Pony wheels.

The only thing that is delaying my purchase is that they are slightly smaller in diameter than stock size 225 55 16’s. I like the look of big tires on these cars and I want to go as wide and tall as possible without a lot of rubbing.
The difference, if there is any at all, would be like 1/10th of an inch. You'll never notice that. If you want fatter tires and have stay with the stock Pony wheels, then 245/50s would be the way to go.

Also, what brands do you guys recommend? I heard BFG tires for these cars are garbage.
The BFG Comp2 is pretty much the only summer tire you're going to find anymore in a 245/50-16. Tire Rack's instrumented testing and consumer reviews both say the Comp2 is a very good tire, but maybe BFG mixes up a special batch for Mustangs that is garbage? :rolleyes: :LOL: I'd say that tire is your best choice for performance. Other than that there's a small selection of ultra-high performance all-seasons, which are probably a toss-up for which is "best".

Reactions: BlwnMystic

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had 245/50/16 on my 93 GT vert. Loved them, no problems. 20 mm is 8/10ths of a inch.

Reactions: 91 GT Vert

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Hello everyone,
My tires are tiny (225 50 16). They were on the car when I bought it and are in very good shape but I can’t stand the sight of them anymore. I have read every tire thread I can find. I’m pretty much set on buying a set of 245 50 16’s but would like to see some pictures of them on an 87-93 fox. The only thing that is delaying my purchase is that they are slightly smaller in diameter than stock size 225 55 16’s. I like the look of big tires on these cars and I want to go as wide and tall as possible without a lot of rubbing. The suspension is stock height. Also, what brands do you guys recommend? ...
You won't notice the difference: 0.32" lower sidewall will probably look better.
I wouldn't be putting 245's on a 7" rim.
I used to run 245/45-16's on an 8" wide rim, but that size is no longer available.
That's what's in the avitar.
Then 225/50/16's (Bridgestone RE760 Sport) which are for sale with the rims.
I now run 245/40-17's (Bridgestone RE71R) on an 8" rim.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I ran the 245/50/16 on my Pony wheels back when I had them. Seemed like all my peers who had Fox body's were doing the same thing with their pony wheels when they needed tires. I have pics, but camera phone tech was terrible back then.

I have the BFG Comp 2's in 255/45/17 on my car now. It's a decent tire for summer driving. Plenty sticky when they get heat in them, but if the weather gets chilly they lose grip (as do most summer performance tires). Can't comment on wet performance though as my car doesn't get driven in rain. I'd buy another set.

·
Registered
117 Posts
20200602_194518.jpg 20200919_153926.jpg

245/50/16 on the front, 255/50/16 in the rear, both on 16x8 rims

·
Registered
1991 GT Convertible
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love those bf sport comp 2s! Improves braking and handling and excellent ride quality in my opinion View attachment 1068436 View attachment 1068437
Great looking cars! Thanks for the pictures. Are those 245’s all around on the grey one? My mustang was originally two tone and the previous owner painted it. I’m thinking about going back to the two tone also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you very much man appreciate that your vert is very sharp is that the medium titanium as well? Yes the convertible with silver ponys had 245s all around but don’t remember the brand off hand. Strongly disliked the two tone gt growing up but grew on me over the years. Absolutely love em now lol
CF2D9EE6-4632-4FB4-87E8-8D3512CBA6A7.jpeg

·
Registered
1991 GT Convertible
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much man appreciate that your vert is very sharp is that the medium titanium as well? Yes the convertible with silver ponys had 245s all around but don’t remember the brand off hand. Strongly disliked the two tone gt growing up but grew on me over the years. Absolutely love em now lol View attachment 1068446
Thanks. Yes mine is medium titanium also. Seeing that picture above verifies that 245’s are the way to go. That looks great! I’m just waiting for Coronavirus to calm down before I go to the tire shop. I will post pictures for sure. I appreciate the pictures and input

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have 245/50/16's on pony's on my royal blue 93 coupe. Lowered 1.5" (roughly). Looks fine, although no pics at this point. It's in paint jail. I gotta figure out what to do about rims. The pony's are original off of my 92 gt and are trashed. Caps all missing and paint falling off. Tires are brand new Mirada sports so I hate to swap to 5 lug and have to get new wheels although I have all the stuff to do it (except wheels). It's either have them re-done, or do something to the 15" OEM 1993 10-holes that are just laying out there taking up space, and those tires are trashed. I like the pony's better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts