·
Registered
8,308 Posts
but I dont want it stopped. I support this

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Its not just eyesore cars. It could be a mint '93 Cobra that doesn't start.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Stupid state. Sometimes I don't like the people in office here. Like I said, I support removing eyesore abandoned vehicles, but I don't support this bill because some Dudley Doright will exploit this against genuine hobbyists.

Most reasonably sized municipalities already have ordinances against such things, why do we need state legislation dictating further? It will only lead to exploitation by hobby haters. Mark my words.

·
Captain Chaos
9,951 Posts
So Snaps, your alternator goes out on your hoopty. You pop the hood, pull the alternator, run to Autozone. You get back and your car's towed off. Your neighbor thought it was an eyesore sitting there with the hood all up and ####. Sound good? Hope it happens to you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Its true. It doesn't matter if you've got a cosmetic gem. If it ain't runnin', and your neightbor don't like it, he can scream and holler that it's a nuisance.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Its true. It doesn't matter if you've got a cosmetic gem. If it ain't runnin', and your neightbor don't like it, he can scream and holler that it's a nuisance.
Except that what you just posted as a general description of the law isn't true. All this law allows is for cities to create their own ordinances regarding junk cars on property, the same way they can currently create ordinances regarding other non-vehicular junk on property.

The actual proposed law said:
For An Act To Be Entitled

AN ACT TO ALLOW CITIES TO REMOVE VEHICLES FROM PRIVATE PROPERTY IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS; AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

Subtitle
TO ALLOW CITIES TO REMOVE VEHICLES FROM PRIVATE PROPERTY IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS:

SECTION 1. Arkansas Code § 14-54-901 is amended to read as follows: 14-54-901.
Municipal authority. Incorporated towns and cities of the first and second class may order the owner of lots and other real property within their towns or cities to cut weeds; to remove garbage, rubbish, and other unsightly and unsanitary articles and things upon the property, including without limitation abandoned or inoperable vehicles; and to eliminate, fill up, or remove stagnant pools of water or any other unsanitary thing, place, or condition that might become a breeding place for mosquitoes, flies, and germs harmful to the health of the community, after the town or city has provided therefor by ordinance.

SECTION 2. Arkansas Code § 27-50-1101(a)(1)(A), concerning removal of an abandoned piece of private property, is amended to read as follows:

(a)(1)(A) When a vehicle of a type subject to registration under the laws of this state, an implement, or a piece of machinery is found abandoned on private or public property within this state or is parked on private or public property within this state without the authorization of the property owners or other persons controlling the property, or after notice from a municipality that the vehicle, implement, or piece of machinery constitutes a nuisance under local ordinance, the municipality or the property owner or his or her agent may have the vehicle, implement, or piece of machinery removed from the property by a towing and storage firm licensed by and subject to the rules of the Arkansas Towing and Recovery Board.
http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/205164/205164.pdf

Words underlined would be added to the law. There are a few words that would be deleted (for grammar reasons) that I have already removed, but can be noted at the link.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
sounds like i was right.... I fully support this proposed law

21 - 31 of 31 Posts