Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my stock 90 coupe steering rack. The factory steering leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't find any reman 03-04 cobra rack or original ones really.

Currently my car has a mm steering shaft. Josh at AGR said he can keep the factory fox splined shaft and with all the cobra specs of a sn95 cobra rack.

That way I wouldn't have to buy another mm hybrid steering shaft.

Anyone have experience with AGR?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If you can find an 03-04 GT or Mach the rack will be fantastic compared to the stocker paired with an MM shaft amd bushings. Should only be $100 or so

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can find an 03-04 GT or Mach the rack will be fantastic compared to the stocker paired with an MM shaft amd bushings. Should only be $100 or so
Thanks. I've been looking for that option as well. Seems hard to find. I may keep searching.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have been doing research on racks myself. The link below may help. For what its worth I have read many good things on Turn 1 rebuilds. There are a lot of good reviews on them. AGR... Not so much. That is just what I have seen on the FB Mustang 79-04 HPDE page and here. Good luck

Reactions: 91GTstroked

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have an AGR rack in my 91 Lincoln LSC. I had to buy an SN95 steering shaft(90-92 Lincoln has the same type of column as an SN95 Mustang).

So the new AGR rack is much better than a Fox rack, but I didn't expect it to have so much resistance(high effort). It's a very stiff rack I'd describe it, and BTW I have driven a 2003 Cobra(the AGR rack effort is nothing like that). I like this AGR rack better than the old stock Fox rack, but I bought a Cardone rack to put into my 92 LSC. I know it won't be the Cobra rack, but I expect it'll be closer to that than the Fox racks.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been doing research on racks myself. The link below may help. For what its worth I have read many good things on Turn 1 rebuilds. There are a lot of good reviews on them. AGR... Not so much. That is just what I have seen on the FB Mustang 79-04 HPDE page and here. Good luck

Good info. So I'd have to find one for turn 1 to rebuild. As in a sn95.
I have an AGR rack in my 91 Lincoln LSC. I had to buy an SN95 steering shaft(90-92 Lincoln has the same type of column as an SN95 Mustang).

So the new AGR rack is much better than a Fox rack, but I didn't expect it to have so much resistance(high effort). It's a very stiff rack I'd describe it, and BTW I have driven a 2003 Cobra(the AGR rack effort is nothing like that). I like this AGR rack better than the old stock Fox rack, but I bought a Cardone rack to put into my 92 LSC. I know it won't be the Cobra rack, but I expect it'll be closer to that than the Fox racks.
Thanks for the info. I may just need to find a 99-04 steering rack or buy a reman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got an 03 cobra rack from thepartsfarm in georgia. They shipped quick but I'm not sure how cheap it was because it's not like you see a lot of them for sale. It has the right number stamped and they show pics of the recked cars as they come in so I assume they are on the up and up.

My stock rack just started leaking out of the internal seals just waiting on a steering shaft from MM since they are on back order.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got an 03 cobra rack from thepartsfarm in georgia. They shipped quick but I'm not sure how cheap it was because it's not like you see a lot of them for sale. It has the right number stamped and they show pics of the recked cars as they come in so I assume they are on the up and up.

My stock rack just started leaking out of the internal seals just waiting on a steering shaft from MM since they are on back order.
Do you know how long the mm hybrid shaft is on backorder?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
This.

I have an 03/04 Cobra rack in my car, but picked up a $60 rack from a 2004 GT off ebay with under 100K on it and squirreled it away as a backup. They pop up under $100 from time to time but getting a rebuilt unit is also an option. SPR-ZK would be the code for the 02-04 GT/Mach1 rack. For the typical street driven car, one may never notice a difference between it and a 99-04 cobra SPR-ZM rack.

If the OE Sn95 rack fails, send it to Turn One Home | Turn One however, their pricing has risen dramatically. They are now $300 for a rebuild. They were $225-250 previously.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX
7,844 Posts
here's some good info from years back when i wanted to mimic the 00R steering feel on my '90 which i feel like i did and am forever grateful to jack as i was able to snag a brand new nos mach1 rack on ebay

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope they said they dont have info on shipping dates at this point and items will be sent on a first come first serve basis.
Dang. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This.

I have an 03/04 Cobra rack in my car, but picked up a $60 rack from a 2004 GT off ebay with under 100K on it and squirreled it away as a backup. They pop up under $100 from time to time but getting a rebuilt unit is also an option. SPR-ZK would be the code for the 02-04 GT/Mach1 rack. For the typical street driven car, one may never notice a difference between it and a 99-04 cobra SPR-ZM rack.

If the OE Sn95 rack fails, send it to Turn One Home | Turn One however, their pricing has risen dramatically. They are now $300 for a rebuild. They were $225-250 previously.
Great information. I'll keep looking, low mileage one is hard to find. I guess if I find one cheap enough, I could send it out right away for a rebuild.

Edit:. I just purchased one off eBay for 80 dollars shipped. It's supposedly from a 2001 GT with 90k miles. We shall see how it looks once I get it.

Reactions: thadude

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
The information below is something which I’ve been able to confirm, but haven’t had the chance to change on the MM website yet.

With the lone exception of the 2000 Mustang Cobra R rack:

Group 1: All 1999-2004 Mustang racks have the same valving.

Group 2: All 1996-98 Mustang racks have the same valving.

Group 3: All 1994-95 Mustang racks have the same valving.

The differences in SPR codes from the different racks within the ABOVE groups is due to differences which don’t matter to us, such as the thickness of the steering rack limiter clips. Within each group, the hydraulic valving is the same.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Interesting.

So that means the SPR-ZM and SPR-ZK rack are the same except for the steering rack limiters?? That’s groundbreaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: thadude

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Looks like the value of used 99-04 GT/V6 racks is about to shoot up

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geez if the v6 racks aren't much different... seems to be plenty of those on eBay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The information below is something which I’ve been able to confirm, but haven’t had the chance to change on the MM website yet.

With the lone exception of the 2000 Mustang Cobra R rack:

All 1999-2004 Mustang racks have the same valving.

All 1996-98 Mustang racks have the same valving.

All 1994-95 Mustang racks have the same valving.

The differences in SPR codes from the different racks within the ABOVE year ranges is due to differences which don’t matter to us, such as the thickness of the steering rack limiter clips.
Thanks for the info jack! I’ve been looking for a cobra rack and you just saved me some money. Now to buy a new universal and make another solid steering shaft.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts