Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
A little closer to the 8's. 9.26 @ 146.40 with a 1.34 and my first sub 6 second 1/8 mile with a 5.92 @ 117.17. With the new gears I have to leave on more boost, on that pass I left on 10psi and ran 18psi out the back. The weather the night I made the 9.44 pass was 1000' better than last night, at 14psi tonight I only went 9.69 @ 139 with a 1.39 60 foot. I tried adding 1 more lb across the board but it blew the tires off about 30' feet out when the boost started to ramp in, track was done at that point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you think you could do me a huge favor and get a pic of the surge tank and tell me how you ran the lines? My radiator will be laid down as well so I will have to do something similar. By the looks of it you simply used one of the t-stat bypass lines. Does this make a stream line obsolete?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'll look through my pics tonight. I had a bung welded into the tank for the steam vent it's a hair higher than the inlet level on the other side of the tank. The inlet is fed by the overflow line coming off of the neck of the radiator. The other nipple coming off the radiator that used to go the the steam vent is capped off. The outlet of the surge tank goes right back into the water pump through the heater core line, I want to say it's the one closest to the engine. The one in the front for the heater core is capped off. I'll check all that tonight.

I've left the cap off the surge tank and the steam vent pushes out water constantly that I saw.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Haven't updated this in a while. Got everything completed under the hood.

This shows the surge tank. I was wrong on the line coming out the bottom it goes into the front line on the water pump for the heater core not the back line as I said in my previous post.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I appreciate it, I am going to the junkyard this weekend and will study some systems I can find. Basically the surge tank is there just to create a high point in the system as well as add a fill point? Simple as that?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Fill point at the high spot of the system as well as a place to route the steam port to. I had originally planned on putting a cap inline with the hose coming out of the front of the pump that goes to the driver side of the radiator but that is the low pressure side and putting a cap there isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
We had some good weather last night so I went out the track first pass was a new best 9.17 @ 147.34 with a 1.32 60 foot. That was 18.5 psi and 10.2 on launch. Track was too cold and went away fast. My 2nd pass I left on 9.5 psi and ramped to 19.5 and I had tire shake and had to get out of it, even tried hitting it 300' feet out and same thing. No one was really hooking and tire shake just breaks parts so I called it a night. I think it's time to upgrade to MT Pro's.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
what kind of fuel are you running? also what is done to the 5.3?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm running E85 for fuel. As for the engine I lifted 2 ring lands last year on a nitrous backfire and got a set of gen 5 rods/pistons out of an 2005 5.3. They are a flat top so that bumped compression to 10.1:1. I cleaned up the pistons and put new rings on them, new rod bearings, honed the cylinder and put it back together. LS9 head gaskets, LS2 timing chain, ebay head studs. I already had comp valve springs and a different cam in it. Heads are stock other than valve springs and where I cleaned up the nicks in the combustion chamber from the pieces of piston that hit it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I'm running E85 for fuel. As for the engine I lifted 2 ring lands last year on a nitrous backfire and got a set of gen 5 rods/pistons out of an 2005 5.3. They are a flat top so that bumped compression to 10.1:1. I cleaned up the pistons and put new rings on them, new rod bearings, honed the cylinder and put it back together. LS9 head gaskets, LS2 timing chain, ebay head studs. I already had comp valve springs and a different cam in it. Heads are stock other than valve springs and where I cleaned up the nicks in the combustion chamber from the pieces of piston that hit it.
I checked out your other thread on ls1tech that was more in-depth. im digging the swap and am thinking of going this route. you don't have any issues being non-intercooled?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
When it comes to non-intercooled the thing is you have to be comfortable with high IAT's. However you'll really never know just how high they are since the temp is taken before the TB and the E85 is helping cool that intake charge right as it enters the combustion chamber. Some people get really nervous about the high IAT's but I haven't seen any issues due to it. I've been told the high IAT's will put the engine on the edge but a month ago I had a bad day at the track and forgot to switch on my second fuel pump. From the 330' mark on I was at 14.5/1 AF at 20.5lbs of boost, 160% cycle duty and didn't even melt a plug. That should have melted any engine.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
My truck engine came with the alternator up top. I put a different bracket on to pull it in closer but that's it. I didn't want to drill the block to move it down low as it would just be in the way for my turbo set up later down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
My truck engine came with the alternator up top. I put a different bracket on to pull it in closer but that's it. I didn't want to drill the block to move it down low as it would just be in the way for my turbo set up later down the road.
Oh ok, I saw this picture and thought you had ran it down low originally

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That was me initially experimenting with a turnbuckle but it wasn't stable enough and I found that billet mounting bracket for up top so I moved it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who makes that bracket if I may ask? I have a lq4 and Id like to be able to move the alternator down a bit, thx

·
Registered
35,827 Posts
I replaced the 5.0L in my Volvo with a new crate LS3. I used the ICT Billet low mount alternator bracket, an Alan Groves low mount A/C bracket and a Caddy CTS-V power steering mount. These were all for Corvette crank pulley spacing, but I believe they make them for F-body and truck spacing as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They do, and I looked at that, however since my car will mostly be a strip car with skinnies I will be deleting the powersteering, looking at the picture above the bracket jus moved the alternator down a tad, which is what I want to be able to close the hood. Nice set up tho

61 - 80 of 85 Posts