Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone heard of this being done? yes I know its gonna break it but I still wanna do it! is there a bellhousing swap or??

plz help:leghump:

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
you can use a standard regular bellhousing for a toploader and then bolt on an adapter plate to make thebolt pattern and input shaft length work out.
there are only two T-5 transmissions that have the proper spine length and shaft diameter. because there were a zillion more that were in 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder applications and the input shaft is different.

even the better ones will split in two behind a 460.

the other major set-up thing is how to operate the clutch fork.

mcleod makes now a three piece bellhousing that has the rear face plate that has the proper bolt pattern on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A regular T-5 out of any 5.0 mustang is very universal, and it shares the same shaft specs as a TKO600. The 2 trannys also use the same bolt pattern except one bolt, so either have the old hole filled and drill a new one for the T-5 or get the adapter he is talking about. youll need a spacer anyways because the toploader bells are one inch shorter and so the toploader had a one inch shorter shaft.
I am running a TKO600 behind a 460 right now and the install is exactly the same as a T-5 except for that one bolt hole difference I was talking about. You will not need to modify your driveshaft, V8 double hump crossmember or the original clutch cable. It all bolts right up.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
You better get the thing beefed up if you want it to survive. G-Force would be a good bet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can use a standard regular bellhousing for a toploader and then bolt on an adapter plate to make thebolt pattern and input shaft length work out.
there are only two T-5 transmissions that have the proper spine length and shaft diameter. because there were a zillion more that were in 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder applications and the input shaft is different.

even the better ones will split in two behind a 460.

the other major set-up thing is how to operate the clutch fork.

mcleod makes now a three piece bellhousing that has the rear face plate that has the proper bolt pattern on it.
Quicktime makes a bellhousing to do a t-5 behind a 460

1 - 7 of 7 Posts