Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Fun fact of the day: VIN Diesel's full legal name, Vehicle Identification Number Diesel, was the sole determining factor in his original casting for the Fast & the Furious franchise.
YOU made me have to look this up.

Mark Sinclair (born July 18, 1967)
Damn, he's old. I like how when you look up images of Vin Diesel, a picture of Dwayne Johnson shows up.

Reactions: willyt

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
1,000hp turbo street car. It's like driving an old 400hp small block around, until you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts
I used to run a SBE 5.0 at 16-18 psi with no intercooler or wastegate. Blowthrough carb on E85.
how did you control boost without a wastegate?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The turbo could only produce enough air to support the peak power I wanted, There was never any need to suppress any exhaust flow through the turbine.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
The turbo could only produce enough air to support the peak power I wanted, There was never any need to suppress any exhaust flow through the turbine.
what size turbo?

what size exhaust housing?

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
how many times did you change exhaust housing to figure out the right mix of housing vs exhaust pressure?

or did you somehow modulate the intake and/or exhaust instead of using a wastegate?

did you log backpressure or turbo speed?

please share all the details as i've seen you mention this few times on here and yes it is possible to do but WHY exactly given that you give up all the benefits of a turbo for what gain...???

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Lots of seemingly redundant math, since an H/C/I 5.0 is nothing new, I found an identical build and then could calculate volumetric efficiency, and approximate exhaust flow. I chose a turbo that would "max out" slightly under what the engines exhaust flow would be. No matter how much you tried to spin it, the turbine couldn't flow more than what the engine could produce, were not talking a huge difference though. At 16-18 psi, backpressue was in the 2.5:1 range, the turbo was all done, and at the 16-18 psi, I was right where my projected HP goal was.

Keep in mind this was a 200K mile stock bottom end 5.0, pushing way more power than it could survive long term. It ran 9.80's through a toploader 4spd.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts