Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This right here. Turbo or even twin turbo, C6, race gas. Let it eat.

Since the 460 is "no longer with us"...get another 460 and go from there.
I do have a scrapper with a N/A 460 married to a C6 in the yard and kept everything good off the last one but I’ve got a lot of room to play around with different engines and such and I’d like to see what a boosted small block can do for me and if it’s nothing great to me I’ll go back to my big blocks

this truck originally had a 5.0 that I cammed bored and ported and topped with 400hp fitech system and it toted my truck around pretty good at 4200-4400lbs. That’s why I’d like to try out another small block cause these 460s are fuggin heavy and slow on the rpms

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
My brother's ex-father in law had an '86 460/C6 4x4 F150 shortbox. He put Super Cobra Jet factory iron heads on it, cammed it and ran a dual quad intake. I was very quick. Loaded or empty. But the kicker was he hand calculated 18mpg many times. He was a numbers guy. Meticulous.

·
Registered
484 Posts
why not just add a turbo to the 460?

if you're really set on the 351W than i'd suggest getting a real block as factory block is questionable over 700ish to the tire, although frankly i'd start reading up on the fundamentals by reading bell's maximum boost or other turbocharging 101 articles/videos
Why does everyone want all kinds of power for a vehicle that sounds like to me is for street duty? You can only drive just so fast on the highway. I think that 300-350 fwhp is just fine for me.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Why does everyone want all kinds of power for a vehicle that sounds like to me is for street duty? You can only drive just so fast on the highway. I think that 300-350 fwhp is just fine for me.
Because most people subscribe to the "too much power is almost enough" school of thinking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Okay so all the trick flow gear went out the window.

I looked around and what looks appealing to me is the AFR 205 heads which require notched pistons.

Anyone on any other fourms are creaming themselves over .50 .224/232 and .581/595 LSA 114. The max lift for the AFR 205s is .710 and I wanna use almost all of that.

So, what this truck will be doing is going down a track, street manner and street drivability are irrelevant.

So what I come to is what is the biggest, meanest, most absurd camshaft that I can use with these heads and a blow through dual plane intake.

·
Vendor
12,558 Posts

I looked around and what looks appealing to me is the AFR 205 heads which require notched pistons.

Anyone on any other fourms are creaming themselves over .50 .224/232 and .581/595 LSA 114. The max lift for the AFR 205s is .710 and I wanna use almost all of that.

So, what this truck will be doing is going down a track, street manner and street drivability are irrelevant.

So what I come to is what is the biggest, meanest, most absurd camshaft that I can use with these heads and a blow through dual plane intake.
With all due respect, you are way out in the field. The afr 205 comes with a solid roller spring, you are talking about hyd roller camshafts.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

More duration on cam

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,043 Posts
this sounds like a street duty vehicle to you...

I don’t plan on running an intercooler cause it’s just making a 1/4 pass than cooling off so I see no need for colder air I’m not worried about melting rings if I get it running and see issues building boost than I’ll put one in, AOD is 850hp rated, 1000hp rated fuel system, custom 4 link rear 9inch with qa1 coil-shocks Dana 44front axel again 4 link with qa1 suspension, gear driven tcase, solid ungreaseable u-joints etc. truck is caged, plastic windows, speed “holed” etc. I’m not worried about if anything will hold up cause it has so far with 800hp 460. I’m just trying to go with a lighter engine and trying to get into forced induction. It will be a blow through system. For the promaxx heads what camshaft would you suggest and yes the ****er is way heavier that I planned on it being lol

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I used to run a SBE 5.0 at 16-18 psi with no intercooler or wastegate. Blowthrough carb on E85.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
That might be the lamest post Ive ever read on here Lol. You should go buy a new Honda minivan, that would get you well within your fwhp range to go have fun in and great gas mileage while youre at it! Me on the other hand Ill be pushing mine to 1000 or so and still getting 18-20mpg or so on the highway.

Even if this wasnt a drag only vehicle (which it is as he said several times), I dont see why you wouldnt want something faster, better sounding, better handling, etc. thats the whole point of modding cars. “Im going to build my car up to have 100hp less than a New stock Mustang” said no one ever lol.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Fixed for you
:ROFLMAO:

I like the one I saw on a FB Ford group. Shows a Chevy "I live a quarter mile a time, and for those 29 seconds..."

Reactions: venomv8

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Fun fact of the day: VIN Diesel's full legal name, Vehicle Identification Number Diesel, was the sole determining factor in his original casting for the Fast & the Furious franchise.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts