Ford Mustang Forums banner

351W line bore timing chain set questions

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  strokeme 
#1 ·
Looks like I will need a shorter timing chain setup on my line bored 351w roller block. According to my measurements, the crank is .005' closer to the cam. I already have a new bilet double roller timing set with Torrington thrust but the chain is too loose. I bought another timing set that was labeled .005" shorter and it looks like the only piece different from my standard length timing set is the upper cam sprocket, which has a "-5" on it after the standard part number ( otherwise same as my existing cam gear). The chain on this new set is the lower quality generic one found in the cheaper SA gear set, which isnt as nice as the German chain included with my existing timing set. I don't want to skimp on the chain. I've had bad luck with anything but the Rolon and Iwis brand chains.

Question I now have - is it safe to assume I can just run the other slightly larger diameter cam sprocket with my existing chain and lower crank pulley (given it fits well) or should I change out everything with a completely new "matched" set? The only brand of timing set I found that specifically says to not substitute components is Cloyes, but their stuff doesn't look like any of the other parts found in the common brands i.e. Comp Cams, Howards Cams, SA Gear, etc. If the only defining piece making the timing set shorter is the upper cam sprocket, shouldn't it be safe to just replace that piece if the timing set fits well and uses otherwise the other same labeled parts?

See less See more
#10 ·

I only have a picture of my existing gear. I already sent back the new timing set, but the part number etched in the new gear was "3551AX-005" and was a 2 piece eccentric gear set with Torrington, but I actually need one for a 1 piece eccentric application with Torrington (as pictured) so that number won't be the same for both types of gears. It's hard to read the number on my existing gear - looks like "3550AX" but I'm not 100% sure. It doesn't have to be drilled for 2 pins.

One thing I did notice that worries me is how tight the chain meshes around the new gear. Its hard to wrap the chain around it by hand and hold it there, probably due to the larger size not meshing well with the chain? Is that going to be a problem or risk running it that way? The newer gear measured .015" larger than my standard gear, which would put it .0075" closer to the crank, but the whole set is advertised to fit a. 005" line bore application. That doesnt make sense, unless they factor in the horrible chain being looser to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.