Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start a 408 Cleveland build in the near future and I was looking to see what a stock 1972 351 2 bolt 2v block is good for in terms for a horsepower limit.

Also, what's the ticket for the best value aluminum heads.?. Thinking about the $999 eBay heads but haven't heard much on them. I believe they are Pro-comp brand?

Lazer

·
Registered
111 Posts
block and heads

stock block about 600hp maybe? street or strip? alot of people fill the block up to the water lower part water pump holes with block fill like hard block . and heads alum. look at trick flow heads and intake and Chi heads and intake. both look good. good luck
jim

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Since you used the word VALUE I agree with previous poster (value is performance for your dollar). Since you asked max HP I would say CHI for aluminum heads.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well over 600hp. Don't try to compare it to the 302 blocks, they're not even similar. There really are no weak points on Clevelands. I have built a 408C with 12:1 compression and CHI heads that was roughly 650hp, and I didn't feel like I was maxing it out. That was NA, no adder.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The hp on any block depends on many factors. The most obvious of course is how the block is casted which the 351C has an advantage in that area over any other ford small block.

One block could crack at 500 hp while the other holds fine at 700+. It depends on how the motor makes its power, what parts were used, how well it was built, how well it's tuned, the weight of the car, the way the car is geared, etc. All these play a factor in how much power the block can hold.

Rather than get tangled up in all the technicalities, just worry about the basics like good balancing, good quality studs and a girdle, keep the rpms to 6500 or less with the bigger strokers, try to use the lightest parts (crank/rods/piston) you can afford, keep detonation out of it, and stay conservative with power adders.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The first/early 69/70 JD Cleve and C9 Wind blocks are the best for holding 600HP, If you plan to make more than 600hp with a good (checked out) 69/70 C/W blocks, upgrade to a better aftermarket block.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, i'm making 500hp right now with 2v OC iron heads on pump gas with a .030 over 351c block but looking to build a stroker and wanted to get some opinions. I'll take a closer look at the TF heads and intake..

LM

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Some good advice here.. So where you getting your 408 parts from?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had a 408C for 5 years with near 600HP, and have it filled to the welsh plugs. It has an alloy main girdle and i shift at 7400 and it hasn't had a spanner on the motor in that 5 years, been super reliable.
Just the normal 4340 Scat crank and 6" H-beam rods and Probe 16cc dish pistons, 11.7:1 Compression.

·
Registered
430 Posts
while it's true you can make over 600hp on 4v heads , you are still stuck with the poor design exhaust port.
with aluminum heads you are less prone to detonation at higher compression ratios
depending on the condtion of the heads you find , they may need guides and seats, as well as checked for cracks. you will want to have them machined for screw in studs and guide plates as well as surfaced
all that being said if you can find a good deal on the iron heads you can save some money and make good power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to start a 408 Cleveland build in the near future and I was looking to see what a stock 1972 351 2 bolt 2v block is good for in terms for a horsepower limit.

Also, what's the ticket for the best value aluminum heads.?. Thinking about the $999 eBay heads but haven't heard much on them. I believe they are Pro-comp brand?

Lazer
iv seen cleveland hit 1300 horse power but can go more but for big risk

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
WoW!!! You revived a 8 year old thread on this? If you're serious about a Cleveland you need to check out TMeyer Inc – Precision Automotive Machining & Manufacturing and that's a definite on the CHI heads. Not sure if a stock Cleveland block will handle that much HP's without being filled all the way with block rock or not but it's an interesting thought..

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Bob Glidden turned 9500rpm with Cleveland blocks in Pro Stock , in the 70's. Install 4-bolt main caps if you are going to make any serious power, any block can take them.

WoW!!! You revived a 8 year old thread on this? If you're serious about a Cleveland you need to check out TMeyer Inc – Precision Automotive Machining & Manufacturing and that's a definite on the CHI heads. Not sure if a stock Cleveland block will handle that much HP's without being filled all the way with block rock or not but it's an interesting thought..
I've got a 4-bolt main 400 block with screw in freeze plugs, who wants an odd project? I should dig it out and take a few pictures some time.

Reactions: Werecow91

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
139 Posts
I remember those old cars that Glidden had back then!! Now those were screamers!!! He really made use of those canted valves!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts