Ford Mustang Forums banner

351 Cleveland in dirt late model

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cdub79 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First post here so I'll get right to it, I scored a complete set of 351c heads for next to nothing and it got me thinking, I wonder if I can build a 800 horsepower dry sump motor around these? I've done some exploring around here and I see others have asked about the limitations of the Cleveland and I too wonder what is a safe amount of power for a steel block and cast heads. In my neck of the woods late models are usually 410+ cubes (while there are atleast two drivers at my hometrack experminting with 500+ cubes) and the elite guys have between 750 to 800 horsepower, that's what it takes to win. Another interesting thing is that aluminum blocks are falling out of favor with the elite here at home I've been told the added weight helps the handling and it's cheaper. All that being said I need advice on a stroker kit, all the ones I've seen max out at around 650 hp, which is healthy but if I'm going to spend all this money I want the biggest and the baddest! I don't know where to look for parts as the circle track world is almost entirely Chevy, at my track out of 300 cars in 6 classes I am the last and only Ford. That being said I know performance parts are readily available for drag guys but a lot of these parts won't help me much because the engine blueprint between drag strips and circle tracks is very different. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My other thought on the limitations is the difference of the use of a engine between drag racing and circle track. My point is this that on the strip the motor is pushed to its futherest extent for that quarter mile and then you slow down and that's the end if it til the next run where as with a circle car you are on and off the gas a lot. I mean you almost never use 100% of that engine but you will use 90% twice a lap for 20 or more laps. Point is IMHO circle track and most especially on dirt is one of the hardest things you can put a engine though. What can I do for this dream motor to survive this rigors lap in and lap out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.