Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 302 and automatic transmission from an older gentleman he said he got it off a 92 mustang. I was trying to find a block code to identify for sure what year. All I found was GY719597 stamped just above where the bell housing meets the block. Can anyone help maybe I’m overlooking where this number may be I’m new to 5.0.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
92's didn't have carburetors. who put the manifold on it?
The guy who built it he said he got it out of a 92 mustang to drop in a 55 truck but went a different route because the aod didn’t fit without having to fan too much. I guess he end up getting a different 5.0 with a c5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
without having to fan too much? does that mean opening up the trans tunnel?
I have absolutely no idea exactly what he said to be honest I was in a hurry loading it up and tying it down while he was talking about what all he would have had to do.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
block numbers are pass side rear. where the starter goes. the starter mounts to the bell and not the block like a sbc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any other way to identify what year this might be if the block isn’t stamped?
block numbers are pass side rear. where the starter goes. the starter mounts to the bell and not the block like a sbc.
appreciate it I’ll have to look when I get a chance. I’m at work right now.

·
Vendor
12,654 Posts
Is there any other way to identify what year this might be if the block isn’t stamped?

appreciate it I’ll have to look when I get a chance. I’m at work right now.
It has a casting number, they all do. Its not stamped its a raised casting.

The letter is the decade, the number is the year. This example is 1974

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has a casting number, they all do. Its not stamped its a raised casting.

The letter is the decade, the number is the year. This example is 1974 View attachment 1071693
That what I figured I just must have been looking to hard and overlooked it. I thought because it was painted it may have been covered but if they are all stamped like that then there’s no way. Appreciate it. This will be my first time building a complete engine to drop into something. I’m a diesel mechanic but wanted something to mess around with that’s still practical.

·
Vendor
12,654 Posts
88, roller block 302. Nothing special, a billion of them produced. It has other things you can see, someone was in it and changed some stuff. It has a mechanical fuel pump timing cover, thats not from a 92 mustang etc... You probably wont find much of anything shocking

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
88, roller block 302. Nothing special, a billion of them produced. It has other things you can see, someone was in it and changed some stuff. It has a mechanical fuel pump timing cover, thats not from a 92 mustang etc... You probably wont find much of anything shocking
I didn’t figure it was anything special. I just wanted a project to keep busy. With that being said what are some routes I can go with the engine? I want something that I’ll still be able to daily drive but still have quite a bit of fun. Also, would like to go in a route that somewhat budget friendly but maybe later be able to build up if I decide.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts