Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm doing a swap into a 67 coupe, running AJE front suspension with shock towers trimmed. I'm running 88 ford ranger master cylinder (manual) and it clears by about 1/8". Steering linkage was modified to fit with the foxbody rack & pinion.
How much did you have to trim the shock towers? A little from the top about halfway down (old school way) or basically remove the bottom portion leaving only a little at the top?

I would like to swap to a coyote without buying the aftermarket suspension. Canton makes a front sump oil pan for a coyote motor for use in the older chassis. I just need to know if the stock shock tower can be trimmed enough to install the coyote motor and still retain stock front suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
How much did you have to trim the shock towers? A little from the top about halfway down (old school way) or basically remove the bottom portion leaving only a little at the top?

I would like to swap to a coyote without buying the aftermarket suspension. Canton makes a front sump oil pan for a coyote motor for use in the older chassis. I just need to know if the stock shock tower can be trimmed enough to install the coyote motor and still retain stock front suspension.
If I was going through the trouble of installing a Coyote engine in a 67 Mustang, the least of my worries would be retaining the stock front suspension. I mean, really? Are you also keeping the stock drum brakes? I don't get it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I was going through the trouble of installing a Coyote engine in a 67 Mustang, the least of my worries would be retaining the stock front suspension. I mean, really? Are you also keeping the stock drum brakes? I don't get it.
The stock front suspension is adequate for what I am going to do with the car. It is not going to be a race car of any type, and the drum brakes can very easily be converted to disc.

·
Registered
339 Posts

I cut as much as i could, but you could probably get away doing less. Not sure though if you could leave the stock upper control arm, maybe. The stock steering box might cause issues depending on exhaust you use. I could send you pics if you want to pm me your phone #.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts