Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I create the pictures-only thread for the S197 platform owners to put up their pictures. Now, let's keep the thread going with pics only. Want to ask a fellow owner about "What springs/hood/body kit/paint color/brand fuzzy dice on the mirror/wing is that on your car?" PM that person directly, not in the thread. Also, if/when you put your pictures up try to throw in a few details under the pics as to what parts you're using to obtain your look/stance to keep question in this picture-only thread down to a minimum. The point is for this thread (as well as the other picture only threads) is to serve as a quick reference for others looking to change the wheels or just get ideas. All those other chit-chat posts as well as other questions you may have about other parts add needless clutter to a person's search. So, 2005 - present owners throw them up. Enjoy. :salute:

·
Registered
143 Posts
20x10 and 20x8.5 Venti's with Nitto 555's

·
Registered
361 Posts
heres my 06 w/ Chrome Mach1 18X9s w/ 265/30/18 tires. stock susp. I was'nt sure if they'd look good on this body but once i did it i fell in love. btw, these are off my old mach 1 so if anyone wants to know if pre 05 wheels will fit the answer is yes

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are my eyes decieving me, or are those 20" Cobra R's? They look fantastic on that car man. I think my next Stang will be an 05-06 black coupe w/ red leather if i can find one. Was the red leather option offered in 05 or 06 only? does anybody have the production numbers on a black on red 5 speed coupe? anyhow, wheels look awesome.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
just bought 2006 tungsten gray, any body have one with wheels?

lets see your wheels with the tungsten gray. any 2005 or 2006 with 10th anniversary wheels?

·
Registered
268 Posts
lets see your wheels with the tungsten gray. any 2005 or 2006 with 10th anniversary wheels?
I think 17" wheels look too small on the S197 cars. Need 19" or 20" wheels :) But, thats just IMO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Question: If buying a 20" wheel, can you get profiles in greater than 35? I ask, because, it seems that the extra rubber seems to really fill out the wheel wells on these cars.

I have the 17" chrome bullit-style factory wheels on my car, and it honestly doesn't look bad at all. I'd like to lower the car an inch overall, and think that would go a good deal of the way to filling out the wheel well overall.

Perhaps I don't know how tire size and wheel size work. I've read that Ford increased the amount of wheel in the wheel well from the factory (diameter? - been way too long, and beer is kicking my old-brain recall-age), but I remember reading that the (diameter?) of the wheels on the '05+ was increased to, I think, a 28? What does this mean?

Can you get a size of wheels in 20's with a 245 or 255/40 or 45 up front and a 285 or 295 or 315/35 or 40 out back? In doing so, do you increase or decrease the overall size of the wheel and tire combo? I'm looking to fill the wheel wells, without looking like I'm driving a Mack truck. I want it filled, but plan on getting 19 or 20's (by the way, is that inches? I've only known wheels described by 15/16/17/18/19 or 20's, but is that inches?) I THINK I just answered a couple of my own questions by thinking about it...drunk brain may have dipped into the way-back machine. Is the 15/16/17, etc., talking about diameter? And is diameter the measurement from top to bottom (can't remember the calculation - think it's like 1/2 circumference/Pi R Squared or something like that?)

Sorry, drunk rambling now. Just wanting to know what size wheel/tire to get that will fill out the fenders well. With the exception of 05-1934 Roush, [email protected], and 91silverlx's cars, I've not been impressed with the way the wheels/tires fill out the wheel wells and look on the cars.

No offense to any others....you like what you like. I just know what I'm looking for, and only want to spend the money once (once these tires are needing replaced, I'll buy new wheels/tires.)

Thanks to any that can plow their way through what I've asked and make sense of it. Any other examples would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jeremy

·
Registered
460 Posts
Question: If buying a 20" wheel, can you get profiles in greater than 35? I ask, because, it seems that the extra rubber seems to really fill out the wheel wells on these cars.

I have the 17" chrome bullit-style factory wheels on my car, and it honestly doesn't look bad at all. I'd like to lower the car an inch overall, and think that would go a good deal of the way to filling out the wheel well overall.

Perhaps I don't know how tire size and wheel size work. I've read that Ford increased the amount of wheel in the wheel well from the factory (diameter? - been way too long, and beer is kicking my old-brain recall-age), but I remember reading that the (diameter?) of the wheels on the '05+ was increased to, I think, a 28? What does this mean?

Can you get a size of wheels in 20's with a 245 or 255/40 or 45 up front and a 285 or 295 or 315/35 or 40 out back? In doing so, do you increase or decrease the overall size of the wheel and tire combo? I'm looking to fill the wheel wells, without looking like I'm driving a Mack truck. I want it filled, but plan on getting 19 or 20's (by the way, is that inches? I've only known wheels described by 15/16/17/18/19 or 20's, but is that inches?) I THINK I just answered a couple of my own questions by thinking about it...drunk brain may have dipped into the way-back machine. Is the 15/16/17, etc., talking about diameter? And is diameter the measurement from top to bottom (can't remember the calculation - think it's like 1/2 circumference/Pi R Squared or something like that?)

Sorry, drunk rambling now. Just wanting to know what size wheel/tire to get that will fill out the fenders well. With the exception of 05-1934 Roush, [email protected], and 91silverlx's cars, I've not been impressed with the way the wheels/tires fill out the wheel wells and look on the cars.

No offense to any others....you like what you like. I just know what I'm looking for, and only want to spend the money once (once these tires are needing replaced, I'll buy new wheels/tires.)

Thanks to any that can plow their way through what I've asked and make sense of it. Any other examples would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jeremy
Sheesh! Label this evidence piece 1A why one shouldn't post while DRUNK :)

I've since figured out that my wheels are the factory bullit 18's, not 17's, so that's why they don't look "bad" on the car. And I'll be looking to go 20x8 and 20x10 or 10.5 (depending on wheel) for the rear.

I still have a question about the tire heigth. They seem to go in the 30, 35, or 40 size for the tire height, and I know it's not a measure of the height, but some calculation of the height and width of the wheel/tire overall. How is that calculated? I've got a set of 17x10.5 Cobra R wheels with 315/35R17's sitting here that I'm looking at, and it looks to have a decent amount of sidewall on it. I want a 20x10 or 10.5 with similar sidewall - which # would I be looking for on the 315/XXR20 to have a similar sidewall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
yea how do the 10.5 inch tires fit in the rear? i got my ride lowered on eibach springs, so i am wondering if it will work.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ditched my mach wheels and went w/ some 20's! they are eagle alloys 25 series wheels w/ faulcon 255/3520 tires

·
Registered
523 Posts

10.5's fit wonderful no rubbing what so ever 285's on rear 275's on front (9" front)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I still have a question about the tire heigth. They seem to go in the 30, 35, or 40 size for the tire height, and I know it's not a measure of the height, but some calculation of the height and width of the wheel/tire overall. How is that calculated? I've got a set of 17x10.5 Cobra R wheels with 315/35R17's sitting here that I'm looking at, and it looks to have a decent amount of sidewall on it. I want a 20x10 or 10.5 with similar sidewall - which # would I be looking for on the 315/XXR20 to have a similar sidewall?

Thanks!
Its actually pretty simple. Example size: 255/35/20. The sidewall height is a calculation of the tread width (255) and the series (35). The series (35) is a percentage of the tread width (255), which gives you your sidewall height. Tread Width is measured in millimeters (mm)

TreadWidth(255mm) X Series(35) / 100 = 89.25mm
1 inch = 25.4mm
89.25mm / 25.4mm = 3.51 inches

In simpler terms: For the 255/35 size tire, the sidewall height is equal to 35% of the Tread width (255mm).

Note: Wheel size is irrelevant when calculating sidewall height. If you have a 315/35/17 tire now and wanted the same sidewall height on a 20 inch wheel, you would still want a 315/35 tire. The only problem with this is that you will increase the overall diameter of the tire as well. This will effect your speedometer/odometer and final gear ratio. It would be easier to just lower the car and bring the wheel well closer to the tire, not the other way around. I use the following tire calculator to compare tire sizes.

http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

1 - 20 of 123 Posts