Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built 1987 2.3t with a hx35 turbo it was a na motor so it had a stock na 4 cylinder t5 should I buy a v8 t5 or could I just buy a better clutch for this t5? Also how hard would it be to change these internals out for the v8 internals and would that be a good option?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
depends on what clutch you want to use

if you want to use the stock bellhousing and clutch from the 2.3, you can use all the V8 internals, BUT you will want to use the 3.35 gearset from an SN-95 V8 Mustang. The input shaft is longer so it will reach into the pilot bearing, although it's still shorter than the stock 4 cyl input shaft it will work. You will need to have the pilot of the input shaft ground down from .668 to .590 to fit the 4 cylinder pilot bearing. This is what I have in mine.

There is another option.

If you are in need of a clutch, and you are making some appreciable power, you can buy the adapter and flywheel from Stinger-performance and that setup allows you to use a V8 T5 bellhousing and clutch. The V8 clutch is 10.5" diameter and has a ton more options than the 4 cylinder 9.5" clutch. This method will get a little expensive, however and will also take more time to get it all set up properly as far as indexing, etc. With this setup you can use any V8 fox body transmission 2.95 or 3.35 either one. For me, that is the problem....ain't no V8 fox body parts available locally, period. All hoarded or all scrapped 15 years ago. Almost nobody here enjoys this hobby (sickness).

Another issue is that with the 2.95 V8 gearset, you may want to change the rear gear to 4.10 at the minimum. Maybe 4.30. Mine is 3.73 with 3.35 V6 transmission (.73 OD) and sometimes I wish the original 4 cylinder trans was still in it. That setup was 3.45 with .78 OD. If you have a 2.95 V8 T5 with .63 OD, the little 2.3 doesn't have enough off boost torque to pull the .63 OD, so you really need rear gears. Then at that point, first gear gets a little "short".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was to get a 1995 v6 Mustangs t5 and use my bellhousing and get a performance 2.3t clutch that's good for 300-350tq would you recommend doing that I should be making 300 plus horsepower.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
watch your clutches

I ran a Pyropete clutch in my Merkur. It did NOT slip. Ever. Made roughly 350hp. But it was on, or it was off. The difference between disengaged and engaged was about 1/4" of the clutch pedal. It also had a tendency to chatter from time to time. It was unsprung and high clamp. No fun in stop and go.

ideally you'd want a sprung hub (for street driving) and with marcel spring to ease engagement. But that is going to be harder to find. Spec stage 2+ works for this but again you're going to have a little more pedal effort, and they are a little spendy in comparison to a stock replacement.

that's where the V8 clutch comes in, you can run a parts store replacement V8 clutch (LUK?) and it will hold your power easily, and with stock pedal effort.

Yes, run a V6 transmission but you'll have to grind the input shaft's pilot down to .590 so it'll fit in the 4 cylinder pilot bearing/bushing.

Im currently running a factory replacement svo clutch at roughly the same power level, and it's been in the car for roughly 30,000 miles give or take. Its starting to slip in 4th under a load in cool weather, though, so it's time. I too am shopping clutches for the little 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I run the v6 trans wont I need to use the v6 bellhousing and some sort of adapter to use a v8 clutch?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
no

the 4 cyl bellhousing bolts right to the V6 gearbox that is what is in mine. Stock 93 2.3L bellhousing bolted to a 94 V6 transmission, BUT you have to machine the input shaft down to .590. If you don't it won't fit in the pilot bearing cause it's too big.

94-95 T5's have the same exact bolt pattern on the face of the gearbox itself as all of the 2.3's did. The difference is the bellhousing where it is bolted to the block, and that's it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, I'm thinking of ordering a clutch thats good for 225-250hp for my 87 2.3 t5 for the time being. Does anyone know any reputable clutches that will work with my trans that wont cost me an arm and a leg I'm looking on spending under 200 dollars on the clutch and pressure plate. Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts