Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the forum and I just was wondering if anyone had a clue what this fitting going into my turbo is, I have one on each side and they need to be replaced. I love the car it’s been needing a lot of love that I’m happy to give... just need a little help in the knowledge department so anything helps thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
For whatever reason I can't view the picture. I assume that's the standard T3 turbo. Most of them had a small oil line at the top, then a larger drain line at the bottom. Then on the sides, there were ports for water cooling. The one toward the outside nearest the shock tower goes to the passenger side of block, on the back, above the pan rail (probably has a plug in it). The other goes to one of the two metal heater hose tubes that run along the valve cover.

Many say that the water cooling isn't required, and I've run without it in the past. But I prefer to use it if it's there. It's purpose is to cool the CHRA after the engine is shut down which helps prevent oil "coking"-and thus "back in the day" would almost prevent turbocharger failure warranty claims. That's it's only purpose. It's said that use of good synthetic engine oil and letting the engine idle for about 30 seconds or so before shutting it off will negate the necessity of the water cooling of the turbocharger. On mine, I didn't have the metal heater pipes so no place to put the hose off the turbo, so I left it off. Got 8000 miles on it before the turbo started showing signs of failure. Replaced with a rebuilt unit, got 90 miles out of that one. Replaced that turbo with another and added coolant tubing as to fully circulate coolant through the CHRA and thus far it's holding just fine, 19,000 miles on this one. Now the "other" part of that story is that I had the engine out, found that the cam bearings were completely shot and that oil pressure was low. The oi pressure gauge I had in the car was showing 70 psi when running (cold) and 75 hot but it was WRONG. It had maybe 15 psi on a good day which explained the turbo failures.

By the way, you're going to find out that most on this site aren't real keen on the 4 cylinder engines. About everyone's gonna tell you to put a V8 in it except me. I like the little 2.3's. They're outdated in comparison to today's 2.3 but they're still neat little turds, especially in the rare GT turbo's and the SVO's which are RARELY seen anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply it's been really hard to find information on the car lol. But if i have any more questions would it be cool to come to you? Because I'm also wanting to find out more on installing an SVO turbo gauge in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts