Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '93 2.3L/4cyl auto. It's an A4LD transmission - not the AOD that comes in the 5.0L/v8 cars.

This sounds a bit weird, but as of right now I have 3.73 rear gears and 275/35/18 tires (engine/tranny swap next year haha). All of the charts I've seen say that the speedo drive gear for the "automatic" is 8 teeth and a 23-tooth driven gear is recommended for my setup. I put that in and the speedometer reads about 30% slow so I'm pretty sure the drive gear isn't an 8-tooth...

Does anyone know the number of teeth on the A4LD speedo drive gear?

If I just look at how slow the speedo reads it looks like I should get either a 17-tooth or an 18-tooth (23/1.3333 = 17.25), which would make sense if my drive gear is actually a 6-tooth instead of an 8-tooth (8/6 = 1.3333). Tables show 6-tooth with 3.73s should have an 18-tooth driven gear so that's what I'm leaning towards unless I can actually find the right info.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I want to say the drive gear is 7 tooth, but I am not 100% positive.

Some of the turbo coupe Thunderbirds had 3.73's in them. Automatic only as I recall. 5 speed TC's were 3.55, again, IIRC. Try asking at turboford.org. They may know. Ain't much love for a 4 cylinder on this site. May also try a thunderbird turbocoupe site like NATO.

EDIT: Here you go. If nothing else, you could contact them and ask. They outta know.
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/ford-ranger-explorer-7-tooth-drive-gear-speedometer-drive-gear/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I'll reach out to the transmission center and make a post over on turboford :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts