Ford Mustang Forums banner

821 - 840 of 861 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
I ended up going with the black rivets the aluminum would have been fine but I think the black will look better.

I'm going to try and get the interior finished up this weekend. I just need to finish some wiring since I decided to add the OBD2 port to the car so I can test the ABS module. I ended up getting an OBD2 port from Rock auto. The OBD2 port came with all the pins installed so I removed the ones I didn't need.

I'm going to mount it right below the fuse panels.

I painted the bracket I mounted it to so it looks a bit better. I just need to wire it to the ABS unit and supply grounds and hot at all times connections.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You're just about out of things to do. What's next on the to do list? Blend in fender flares/paint perhaps?

Might want to have a discussion with Tony at Astro, looks like they have A-5 parts available.

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
You're just about out of things to do. What's next on the to do list? Blend in fender flares/paint perhaps?

Might want to have a discussion with Tony at Astro, looks like they have A-5 parts available.

Jay
I'm going to work on the fenders after a few events on the car to make sure nothing rubs. It shouldn't but I really want to test it first. I'm kind of leaning towards the Astro A5 that comes complete not the gear set so all I will have to do is swap them around. Then I could also rebuild my current one at some point or just send it back to get the core refund. I also have a friend looking to swap a T5 in 1965 fastback so it could go there after being inspected and resealed. Now that I have time and they are in stock I might buy the trans this week or next since they have a 10% off spring deal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Would you do the road racing .80 fifth or the highway cruising .63 fifth? the .80 gives a 2.84 final ratio with your 3.55 gears, the .63 gives a 2.24 final ratio.

I bought the .80 set when I did my A-5, but due to the tail housing modification required to fit them, didn't install them. I would probably have gotten a modified housing from Tony if I had realized how thin that area is, and the possibility of ruining the housing. Since the A-5 is going in my daily driver/possible track toy car, the .63 ratio is probably more appropriate anyway.

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
Would you do the road racing .80 fifth or the highway cruising .63 fifth? the .80 gives a 2.84 final ratio with your 3.55 gears, the .63 gives a 2.24 final ratio.

I bought the .80 set when I did my A-5, but due to the tail housing modification required to fit them, didn't install them. I would probably have gotten a modified housing from Tony if I had realized how thin that area is, and the possibility of ruining the housing. Since the A-5 is going in my daily driver/possible track toy car, the .63 ratio is probably more appropriate anyway.

Jay
Honestly I'm not sure which one I would go with for my car. I'm honestly still undecided on getting the A5 right now. I just put a new clutch in the car if I go with the A5 I will have to get a new clutch. I would probably have to look into getting the flywheel resurfaced but not sure since it only has 600 miles on it. I would like to find something with a 10 spline input shaft I was looking at a T5Z super duty for that reason. I know the 10 spline is a weak link but since my car isn't going to be doing any hard launches I think it will be fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure which one I would go with for my car. I'm honestly still undecided on getting the A5 right now. I just put a new clutch in the car if I go with the A5 I will have to get a new clutch. I would probably have to look into getting the flywheel resurfaced but not sure since it only has 600 miles on it. I would like to find something with a 10 spline input shaft I was looking at a T5Z super duty for that reason. I know the 10 spline is a weak link but since my car isn't going to be doing any hard launches I think it will be fine.
I suspect your combination, especially if you continue with autocross, will probably be fine with the stocker or the T5Z. Third gear is where they are far more likely to fail, and third is much more heavily relied upon in an HPDE event. If you do eventually end up using the car primarily for road course work, I think the A5 would be the best solution for your needs. As far as the clutch goes, you'd only need a new clutch disk which isn't too expensive. I know that whenever I've tried to go the low buck route, it usually comes back to bite me!

In any case, best of luck, the car is looking quite formidable! Between those massive stickies, and awesome suspension you've installed, should be able to fly around those cones!

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
I suspect your combination, especially if you continue with autocross, will probably be fine with the stocker or the T5Z. Third gear is where they are far more likely to fail, and third is much more heavily relied upon in an HPDE event. If you do eventually end up using the car primarily for road course work, I think the A5 would be the best solution for your needs. As far as the clutch goes, you'd only need a new clutch disk which isn't too expensive. I know that whenever I've tried to go the low buck route, it usually comes back to bite me!

In any case, best of luck, the car is looking quite formidable! Between those massive stickies, and awesome suspension you've installed, should be able to fly around those cones!

Jay
I have some time to think about it before I make my decision on the trans. It would be nice to go with the A5 and not have to worry about it anymore.

I got some work done on the car today. I finally got the interior cleaned up and everything back in the car for the first time since November.

Now its time to move on to the hood of the car. I bought Race Louvers a while back and didn't think I was going to have time but now I have time. Its the first time I have ever had the hood off the car. I made a bunch of marks and drilled an alignment hole to get it back into place when I go to install it again.

I still need to work on placement of louvers but I should have that done tomorrow.

Should be fun cutting into a perfectly good factory hood.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Don’t you want those center vents closer to the radiator?

Interior looks great man!
The picture doesn't show the vent in the right place yet. I talked with Al at race louvers they should be either right at the radiator or two inches back if you have a fan shroud it should be at or 2 inches behind the fan shroud. I'm going to put it right at the fan shroud so it doesn't interfere with the strut tower brace.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
I got some work done on the hood of the car I lined up the center louver and got the hole cut for it.

I did have a moment of hesitation before cut big holes in may perfectly good hood.

I cut a little extra so I can move it around a bit to get it lined up perfect. I started work on the side louvers getting them lined up with the center one. I got the templates in place just have to cut the holes.

I'm going to try and cut them tomorrow night and set the hood back on the car to check for any issues with clearance with things under the hood.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
I got the side vents cut in the hood and decided to spray the edges black to cover up the exposed metal.

I had to fix up a couple spots but it came out pretty good. I also got the holes drilled for mounting the louvers but holding off on riveting them to the car.

I've decided to go forward with the body work so I can get it ready to wrap so I'm going to hold off riveting the louvers to the hood until I have the hood wrapped. I started getting all the stuff together I will need to start the bodywork. I have the filler I'm going to use just waiting the bonding adhesive to bond the flares to the car.

I should be able to start the body work next week. The fun part is going to be bonding the flares to the car.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
Started to get the rest of the stuff I need to bond the flares to the car. I'm hoping to get started on the body work this weekend.

its time to make this thing one color.

On a side note I might have a bad ABS module in the car its complaining about one of the wheel sensors. The sensor is fine I need to start checking the wiring to make sure there isn't something wrong.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Have you ever done any "glass" work before? The only experience I have had is with RC airplanes. I just remember it being ridiculously messy and darn smelly. How did you determine what materials to buy for your application?

Back when I was playing with this stuff, the choice was epoxy resin, or polyester resin, I am guessing you will be using some type of epoxy as it is more flexible.

Jay

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
Have you ever done any "glass" work before? The only experience I have had is with RC airplanes. I just remember it being ridiculously messy and darn smelly. How did you determine what materials to buy for your application?

Back when I was playing with this stuff, the choice was epoxy resin, or polyester resin, I am guessing you will be using some type of epoxy as it is more flexible.

Jay
I have never done glass work before but my father in law has done a ton of it. He built the fiberglass/kevlar body belly pan and diffuser for are mod car from scratch. This picture is before he cleaned, filled and painted it.

Honestly I went with this stuff based on a suggestion from a friend that has done this same thing on his mustang. He has a friend that owns a body shop and recommend this stuff. The filler is short strained fiberglass filler that bonds to metal and fiberglass really well that's designed to blend the two types of panels together. I heard both are very smelly so I'm not looking forward to that part. I do a have a mask designed for this type of work so I should be good. I started to get the car prepped for the body work. I still need to cover the hood since I now have big holes in it and don't want the dust from sanding in the engine bay.

Unfortunately I don't think this is going to be a quick process. I'm really not looking forward to removing the front fenders to bond them to the car. The rears should be easy since they just lay on the car. The fronts are going to be hard with all the work it took to get them mounted.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
Did some body work today on the car. I got the rear flares off the car and started to clean them up a bit. There was allot of imperfections on the mating surface so the flares wouldn't sit flat on the car. I started by cleaning those up then I took the edge off the flares so it would transition to the body allot better.

I still need to clean the paint off the body of the car to get a clean metal surface to bond the flares to the car. I had forgotten my mother in law gave me an orbital sander one year for Christmas so I ordered up some 80 grit discs for it which I should have this week. I'm hoping to have it all prepped so I can bond them to the body next weekend. Then I will start the same process on the front of the car.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
Not much happening on the car front. I did find the color red I was looking for to wrap the car in.

It matches the factory paint pretty well so I'm going to go with it.

I did find one problem that I'm not looking forward to fixing. The ABS module in the car isn't working right. I went through all the wiring and it looks like the right front sensor in the module isn't working. I luckily bought a spare ABS module just in case this happened I tried it in the car and the right front wheel speed sensor error cleared. I was hoping to just replace the electronics but I will still have to remove the ABS unit to get the electronics off.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
The body work continues. I got the rear flares bonded to the car today. The bonding adhesive worked really good. I was kind of worried about the 40-50min work time but it wasn't a problem.

I also got started on the front of the car today. My biggest worry is the fenders don't go back on the way they came off. I had to pull and force the flares out as wide as they were on the car. i decided to take some measurements and write them on the flares to I have a reference to make sure they get back into place.

Then I removed them and got started on sanding. I'm hoping to have the front ready for the flares to go back on by next weekend.

Still have a long road on the body work but chipping away at it.

821 - 840 of 861 Posts