Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this rust free 2.3 for a drag car build. I've got another project in front of it, so its build start is on the backburner at the moment.

The guy I bought it from was swapping his Calypso 5.0 parts over before having title trouble. He said he's never attempted to start it.

Anyhow, wanted to see if it would start as it spun over freely and its pretty clean for being a 90. Atleast I could move it around the yard if so.

Threw a battery in it, and the started skipped, and slow crank.. Pulled the starter to see the gear was broken.

Checked flywheel, good.

Put a new battery in it. Cranks, but no start.

Fuel pump whines on key. Fuel pressure at rail is 34 psi.

Have spark from coil. Have spark to spark plugs.

Put new spark plugs in, as the old ones were dirty and old.

Injectors have pulse via noid.

Compression is at 175 on all 4 cyl.

No codes (I know they've been erased due to the new battery)

Still no start. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
fuel pressure is lower'n I'd like to see

should be up around 40 psi at 34 I would suspect something's up. Could be gauge issue?

also, what is the quality of the fuel?

fuel, air, spark (at the right time) and compression

on a 2.3 just pull the fuel pressure regulator hose off of the manifold and spray some carb cleaner down it's throat. Probably need a pretty good shot. Put the hose back on and crank it over. If it starts, you're either bad fuel or no fuel.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel pressure is lower'n I'd like to see

should be up around 40 psi at 34 I would suspect something's up. Could be gauge issue?

also, what is the quality of the fuel?

fuel, air, spark (at the right time) and compression

on a 2.3 just pull the fuel pressure regulator hose off of the manifold and spray some carb cleaner down it's throat. Probably need a pretty good shot. Put the hose back on and crank it over. If it starts, you're either bad fuel or no fuel.
I was spraying starting fluid into the throttle body, and even tried directly into the spark plug holes. No start.

I've got a new timing belt arriving today. Gonna give it a shot from there.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
generally speaking if the timing belt is off or broken or slipped a tooth or three the engine compression would be either low or really high, 99% of the time low. If they're off a tooth, it'll still start and run, just no power and a lot of times a little bit of a rougher idle

all it needs is spark fuel air and compression to run

you sprayed starting fluid in (fuel)
it has compression as you said 175 psi, so you have air (or something) going in and being compressed
you have spark? Right time?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reinstalled the new timing belt and aligning the cam gear/crank gear/distributor gear with #1, it started and runs now. Spitting some black smoke, but it runs good enough to drive it in and out of the garage, and that's what I was after.

Either the cam gear is still a tooth off, or I've got some sort of fuel issue (the black smoke). But it's sort of irrelevant due to whats going to happen to this car.

Reactions: P63
1 - 5 of 5 Posts