Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have a 1994 f150 5.0 automatic trans 2wd and the engine started smoking a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe at 415,000 miles so I pulled it out and bought a from what I was told it came out of a 1983 foxbody 5.0 with a bbl throttle and BBK headers as well as BBK cold air intake. The thing I pulled off the bad motor to put on the new motor was flex plate ,pressure plate, fuel hard lines and Distributer.

The computer I left in the truck is the oem one from the truck. Now the issue I have the harmonic balancer is solid with no marking so I make a mark for TDC and put the timing to 10 btdc and I get pingging noise at high rpm I put 91 still pingging I back off the timming still pingging.. My question is can I put my harmonic balancer on from the bad motor? Also I have a missfire from idle to 2500rpm but 2600 and up it clears up (foot on the brake while gasing the throttle)

·
Registered
25,013 Posts
title says 1985

and now you say 1983

what is it?

ford has never made a balancer without markings, without knowing what exactly you have, balancer swapping is not advisable

you best find out exactly what you bought

·
USAF retired
9,405 Posts
That intake is from 86-93, so what year is that engine?
If the balancer is original, a new one from rockauto is somewhere around $50-60, that balancer if original, most likely has dry rot in the rubber insulator between the inner and outer pieces.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You may have to sand down the balancer to see the marks. They are often faint.

not knowing much about the F150 engines, I have to wonder if the stock truck computer is a bad match for the Mustang Cam, compression, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The computer for the truck will be bank firing injectors which will work for the standard firing order. Mustang have had the HO (351) firing order since 1982. If you truly have a Mustang engine then you won't run right until you address the firing order.

If it is a Mustang engine then it certainly wasn't originally in a '83 Mustang. It may be from another car of the '87-'93 era. Figure out what firi g order you are working with for a start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
title says 1985

and now you say 1983

what is it?

ford has never made a balancer without markings, without knowing what exactly you have, balancer swapping is not advisable

you best find out exactly what you bought
All the research I've been 83 was carb not efi so that why I put 85 and as for the balancer
That intake is from 86-93, so what year is that engine?
If the balancer is original, a new one from rockauto is somewhere around $50-60, that balancer if original, most likely has dry rot in the rubber insulator between the inner and outer pieces.
[balancer
The lady said it was put of a 83 ford mustang it was fully rebuilt 60,000 miles ago it was in a car club coming from the rez when I swaped the oil pan the trimming chain and rods looked a lot cleaner then the engine I pulled out but ill take more pictures on Monday of the harmonic balancer and be more thero . Of what's going on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The firing order is 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 the mustang engine. When. I put the engine in and put number 1 cylinder to TDC then kept my original distributor from the truck in the mustang engine to number 1 I just timmed it by ear and it ran fine until I marked the. Harmonic balancer with a sharp of tdc and tried to time it with a timing gun and now it runs like **** barely can drive it

·
Registered
25,013 Posts
you had the distributor out?

you most likely installed itb way off

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Ditto, R&R the distributor again. Find TDC with the #1 plug out, with a finger. Find that and the balancer should show the big TDC mark. Then put the distributor in with it advanced a little(10* is stock). That process takes patience, more, more patience, don't do it fast, do it carefully.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe
1 - 10 of 10 Posts