Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working through the bugs for a while now. I have ran the stock dizzy, the EPM, and now this set up. What I like about this is, you use factory Ford sensors. And you have a choice of what dizzy gears you can use. The problem with the EPM is if you goto a solid roller, and it does not have the resolution that the crank trigger has.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No need to change timing covers..and it uses the factory timing pointer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Looks good! I probably wouldn't have asked so many questions had I seen these pictures first. Lol

I can't wait to get my trigger wheel.

I also wanted to stay with factory sensors. I didn't like how the EPM limited my choices when it came to cam gears. My 347 will be using a custom TLSR cam. However, I think I will first try the trigger wheel setup on my simple Explorer motor with FTI HR cam.

Rob

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks good. I'm doing the same thing with my 429 and using a motec 12-tooth wheel. The 351W EPM will physically fit fine, but the gear is the wrong size. I'm left with no choice. Have you started it up yet???

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 7 of them running this set up right now. Three of which are running TLSR with no problems or timing errors. Working on getting the 351 based cam sensors running now.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
How do you deal with the pulley being offset the width of the wheel? Or am I missing something that lines it up with the accesories?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no offset, can't you see the machining done to compensate this? Pulley is still in the stock location.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I saw the picture of the balancer, but it wasn't stated that it was machined. Really good work though, since I couldn't tell the balancer had beenn machined.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll probably following this path in the future but im just wondering what you all are doing to run the oil pump drive? Did a quick site search and a google didnt come up with much other than running a dummy distrib.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just get a explorer cam sensor. I now have adapters to put 3.8 cam sensors in a 351w. This is a drop in deal.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can get more made. Just PM me

·
Registered
293 Posts
Could someone explain: if the 12-tooth wheel is an improvement resolution-wise over the AEM EPM, what the heck resolution does the AEM have? And if you're going to use OEM parts like the Explorer cam sensor, why not use an EDIS style wheel with 36-1 teeth? Not being combative, just puzzled by this. I have never heard anyone complain about the 36-1 wheel from a resolution perspective, but the 12-tooth count makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AEM does not like any minus tooth wheels at all. Just ask the modular guys. Yes you can make it work, but it's a real hair puller. The EPM is fine for most applications, but starts loosing resolution above 62-6500 rpm. Kinda like a dual sync dizzy. The bigger the wheel, the better the resolution. the 12 tooth and profile is just a simple set up that works. The reason for the explorer stuff is it is proven,cheap,works,and easy to get for anyone. Not to mention, it's oe quality. The reason for using the stock cam sensors is... The excellent selection of gears out there. The EPM does not have a good quality gear available if you go solid roller.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why not more teeth? The AEM natively bases it's calculations off a 12-tooth per rotation crank trigger (or 24 teeth per cycle since these are 4-stroke engines). AEM will work with other wheel combinations, but in those cases it reads the crank wheel, then translates this into a 12 tooth pattern. Because this calculation takes place, sometimes there can be a hiccup along the line or you need to "ignore sync" over a certain rpm because the EMS can't keep up with making the calculations.

By using the tooth pattern that the AEM natively uses, you eliminate this interpolation and will have rock solid ignition timing. Also by positioning the crank trigger on the crank, you eliminate any slop that is introduced when the crank trigger is acquired via the camshaft (like the EPM).

The EPM's draw is purely for convenience. There are no OEs that I know of that acquire crank position from the cam. There is too much slop between the timing gears, chain and drive gear as well as pushing & pulling done by valve springs as lifters go up and down ramps.

This is as clean of an install and as accurate as you can get when it comes to cam & crank signals for the AEM.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed. I had high hopes for the EPM to simplify the stuff I went through to get a 36-1 setup going (I use an EDIS module with Megasquirt). I contemplated moving next year to a bigger motor, and instead of carrying over my 36-1 setup, the EPM looked highly attractive from the plug-and-play hassle-free point of view.

Certainly I agree that an EPM cannot be as accurate as a crank wheel "in principle," but surely it is has got to be close enough, no? I mean, it's at least as accurate as a dizzy and likely more so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Certainly I agree that an EPM cannot be as accurate as a crank wheel "in principle," but surely it is has got to be close enough, no? I mean, it's at least as accurate as a dizzy and likely more so.
Close enough, yes, if that's what you're going for in your ignition system. The EPM is a simple drop-in solution that works fine in some applications.

The major problem with the EPM has been the inferior metallurgy used in the drive gear. If you're using a billet cam it will eat the drive gear right off the EPM.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I got my trigger wheel from Wildstreet!!!

I got my trigger wheel, machined spacer, and bracket in the mail today.:)

I am very impressed with Wildstreet.:salute:

I sent him my harmonic balancer, pulley spacer, pulley, and timing pointer so he could make sure it all fit together. It took about 3 weeks to get it back from the day I shipped it, and that included the holidays. He kept me informed the whole time.

Here are a few pictures:

Everything arrived in the condition that I sent them.

Here is how it looks mocked up on a spare timing cover.

Close-ups:

My Balancer required a .950" spacer to put the pulley in the correct alignment. So the spacer was machined to except the thickness of the trigger wheel.

Tonight I am painting the wheel. I hope to install the setup on my Explorer motor by this weekend. I will eventually transfer it to my 347.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received you're parts Jan 3rd and they left my place Jan 9th...all is good I hope

1 - 20 of 39 Posts