Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I converted to the 12 tooth trigger wheel. I went to carb route but still using the ems for ignition part. my car will free rev to 7000 but under load/boost it will only go to 5800. my vr sensor is not shielded, so maybe that is the prob. or I was thinking the gap on the wheel is to far. plugs are gapped to .020 and running lq9 coils. any suggestions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
1) Are you getting timing errors where it falls off?
2) What's the current sensor gap?
3) Can you scope the sensor?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a way I can log the timing errors. or will it just add up on the paramaters screen. currently I am not aware of my gap. i'll have to get back to u. not sure how to scope the sensor. I think my gap is a lil off bc I know I it's not super centered on my balancer spacer. currently I have a new trigger wheel being made and plan on getting my wheel machined to fit perfect on the spacer to make both one. I plan on welding it to the edge so I wont have to machine for thickness of wheel on spacer. . I did notice that since I'm not efi and have no tps hooked up and still reads 100%. could that cause a prob. it shouldn't bc ignition is run off just map pressure

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is a parameter in the AEM you can log or watch called "Timing Errors". Usually this will count up 1 or 2 timing errors on cranking, but that is all that it should accumulate. Once the engine is running it will stabilize. If this continues to count-up, you have a problem somewhere. Start there.

If that's a problem, it's a process of elimination as to what the issue is. This is where an oscilloscope would help you identify the problem (i.e. sensor gap, interference, false trigger, sensor movement, wheel runout, etc).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok ,I am aware of that parameter. I thought maybe there was a way to log it but i'll just have to look at after im done making a test hit and see how many accumulate. I guess I'm gonna narrow it down bc im gonna be doing all those things once I get the trigger wheel setup with new shielded vr sensor. tt460 you run the same setup that wildstreet made with his wheel. and no problems. how is ur dwell setup for coils. max/ min tooth

·
Registered
101 Posts
On my modular I use the factory sensors and the factory "dumb" coils. On SBFs I work on I use my own bracket setup.

I'll have to lookup a coil dwell table, the AEM supplied one always seemed to work well even when running upwards of 20psi.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I tried 2 diff coil dwell settings. The stock epm and one when I had the car tuned for my old motor. Needless to say no change in results. I'm thinking it's prob gap or interference. I'll have my new wheel setup this week hopefully with a shielded vr sensor n closer gap with less runout

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new crank wheel I made. Basically pressed fit

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any plans to pin it? It'd make me nervous without some form of positive retention.

If you don't plan to pin it, at least mark its location so you can tell if it's beginning to move.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plan on 4 tack welds with my tig. I don't have to ref the teeth do I. I'm fine with wherever they sit. As long as I get a sync I should have no problems?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ideally a tooth would be aligned with TDC, but you will use the "Sync Ignition" in the AEM software to dial in and correct out of phase timing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I took car out for test drive with just a new wheel mounted with a closer gap. gap is around .030 didn't change.. I don't get it. can free rev to my desired rpm but not when it has a load. I did get a timing error. and while driving to rev to limiter, it like plateu's for the 3-4 secs then I let off. I almost wanna go to a epm again. didn't have problemswith my 347 setup.. ugggghhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is this with your own bracket or wildstreet's?

Pm me a log and your calibration and I'll look at what's going on when I get a minute.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wild street vr mount n my wheel mount. I seen Donovan write n his cal has diff tooth max n dwell setting. Gonna try that. Mine is set at 4.5 while his is 1 and my min is .05 n his is .1 gonna se if that changes anything. Ordered shielded mag wire should have that sat. Hoping to race sun. I'll try n post my cal up

·
Registered
101 Posts
Although I wouldn't completely rule out dwell settings, if you're getting timing errors then the issue is either in bracket flex or sensor configuration. Send me your cal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whats ur email. having trouble loading it up

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fixed It i think by changing falling edge to rising edge and woke the car right up. I excited now.lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts